Notices
Series I Tech Garage The place to discuss anything technical about the RX-8 that doesn't fit into any of the categories below.

Evans Npg Coolant

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 04:34 PM
d j
hukbong himpapawid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evans Npg Coolant

EVANS NPG COOLANT

...time to service my cooling system and thinking about replacing my coolant with the NPG+ coolant. has anybody tried this before?

Last edited by d j; 02-17-2007 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:10 PM
Momentum Keeps Me Going

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Teamrx8 as i remember has done NPG.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:24 PM
d j
hukbong himpapawid

cool, hopefully he chimes in soon =)
Old 02-17-2007, 07:31 PM
No respecter of malarkey

Received 2,008 Likes on 1,637 Posts
I wouldn't recommend it for normal street use, not worth the cost and hassle except for racing where everything costs and is a hassle, nothing to see here so move along ...

if you do it anyways then you need NPG-R for the RX-8 radiator, the viscosity of the other NPG coolants are higher than standard coolant and intended for open-channel racing radiators

I haven't had any issues with it. The coolant system doesn't boil over anymore after running the engine hard for long periods like it did prior. Getting the system flushed of water-based coolant and ready for the NPG is a pain. You'll have to flush it at least twice with a lower cost PG type coolant such as Sierra, which you're simply pouring down the drain, before you put the high $ NPG in. If anyone ever pours water or non-PG coolant in it then you have to start over. Nobody local carried the Sierra coolant. I ordered in online from Ace Hardware and they shipped it to the local store for pickup. Side benefit is that it doesn't freeze over, but it will turn into a thick slurry at -10 degF or lower

Last edited by TeamRX8; 02-17-2007 at 07:45 PM.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:25 PM
d j
hukbong himpapawid

...thanks! NPG-R it is. so, you used Sierra instead of the prep fluid? I do all the mx in my car/s so I'm not worried about anybody else touching it. it might seem expensive but still cheaper than replacing the single row calsonic radiator with a 2 row.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:16 PM
No respecter of malarkey

the prep fluid is $28/gallon plus shipping, you'll need quite a few gallons to drain and flush twice

you can get a 6 gal pack of Sierra coolant for $11/gal from Ace Hardware, shipping is free if you have it sent to the local store and pick it up there

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...archId=1303981

there's also a plug on the left lower side of the engine center housing to fully drain the block, it's not called out in the mazda service literature anywhere, there's a thread where we discussed it and took some pics, draining the radiator only won't even get half the volume out, you have to drain the radiator and then the block to get it fully drained

Last edited by TeamRX8; 02-18-2007 at 11:22 PM.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:21 AM
d j
hukbong himpapawid

thanks! very helpful info!!!
Old 01-22-2009, 03:47 PM
Registered RX8 Nut

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Also going to do NPG-R or npg+

DJ how is it working out for you?

Teamrx8, would you still recommend the NPG-R because of the Viscosity 2.0cp @ 212°F or would the NPG+ Viscosity 2.3cp @ 212°F be okay.

I ask because NPG only recommends the R for racing applications but + is recommended for all gas applications.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:03 PM
is adjusting valve lash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
be aware that you'll be running a higher water temp (or shall i say coolant temp) due to this stuff being 100% propylene glycol.

and remember to switch to a low pressure coolant cap as this is more like a lubricant. it absorbs engine heat, but doesn't "boil" like water does, creating a high pressure in the cooling system and a need for a pressure cap to bleed vapors.

i haven't gotten the chance to personally use this product yet, but i can see the pros of using this product over the long haul from a cost effective standpoint... as it IS pretty much maintainance-free... ( anyone can chime in on this coolant servicing if i'm wrong)
Old 01-22-2009, 06:24 PM
is adjusting valve lash

am i missing some info regarding this product?

higher coolant temps but lower block pressure, more heat absorbant (both pro and con of its design), doesn't boil over,requires a lower pressure cap( unsure of recommended psi) and environmentally friendly.

but a huge PITA to change over to.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:32 PM
Rotary Powered Countryboy

I hear for everyday street use 100%water with water wetter is the best!
Old 01-22-2009, 10:51 PM
Registered RX8 Nut

Originally Posted by 04RX8man
I hear for everyday street use 100%water with water wetter is the best!
There have been several people that have compaired 100%water with water wetter, 70/30, 50/50, 30/70 and every other combination and they have found that the stock mix works best with the RX8. 60/40 I think.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:20 AM
Enthusiast

2 year thread revival, for sec I thought dj was back.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:20 AM
Rotary Powered Countryboy

^damn didnt' even notice that!
Old 01-27-2009, 02:55 PM
Registered

I use NPG+ in my FD RX-7 with no pressure cap. Have been running it over 2 yrs, daily driver, several track days and auto-x and drag racing too. Never had any overheating whatsoever.

I flushed the system with Sierra first, daily driving the car with pure sierra for a few days then did the same with 2 gallons prep fluid. NPG+ after that.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:02 PM
Registered RX8 Nut

Originally Posted by neit_jnf
I use NPG+ in my FD RX-7 with no pressure cap. Have been running it over 2 yrs, daily driver, several track days and auto-x and drag racing too. Never had any overheating whatsoever.

I flushed the system with Sierra first, daily driving the car with pure sierra for a few days then did the same with 2 gallons prep fluid. NPG+ after that.
Cool, thanks. When I switch over I am replacing the water pump, radiator and the 3- hoses all at the same time. I will probably just use the sierra to help flush it, along witht he help of an air hose to get the heater core drained. Of course use the engine drain plug too.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by TrochoidMagic
be aware that you'll be running a higher water temp (or shall i say coolant temp) due to this stuff being 100% propylene glycol.
it's not 100% PG

I emailed Evans requesting their NPG+ MSDS and they emailed it back to me. I attached Sierra's also for comparison. Keep in mind that NPG and NPG-R are different from NPG+.

Summary of ingredients:

Sierra:
Propylene Glycol 94-96 %wt
Water 3 %wt
Proprietary Additives 1-3 %wt

Evans NPG+:
Ethylene Glycol 66–70 %wt
Propylene Glycol %wt not specified
Water %wt not specified but from Evans webpage info it should be <3 %wt
Proprietary Corrosion Inhibitor Package <2 %wt

We could possibly make our own by mixing 30% Sierra with 70% of a good quality pure EG-based coolant...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
NPG+ rev 2 11 03.pdf (51.9 KB, 476 views)
File Type: pdf
sierra_msds.pdf (33.0 KB, 261 views)
Old 10-02-2009, 12:52 PM
Registered

For those that use either NPG+ or NPGR, did you change the opening temperature of the thermostat? What coolant temperatures are you seeing? Did you alter the fan engagement temperature? Is the OEM coolant pump adequate for safe use with either of these coolants, or does an aftermarket coolant pump like the Remedy need to go in first?

With either NPGR or NPG+, just how high can we allow coolant temperatures to rise without the thermal expansion of the various parts becoming a problem (back when I drove an FB, I was warned that overheating would result in crushing the rotor housings; but I don't know if that's true or just an urban legend)? I'd ideally like to even out the engine temperatures as much as I can for best reliability and getting as complete combustion as is feasible with our engine's geometry.

Last edited by longpath; 10-03-2009 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:21 AM
Registered

I received the following reply from Evans Cooling regarding my query of whether to use NPG+ or NPGR:

Sent: Wednesday, October 07, 2009 10:43 AM
To: XXXXXXXX@optonline.net
Subject: RE: NPG+ or NPGR?

Lane........we have customers with just your situation, that is, running
a basically a stock motor. You can use our NPG+ with no problems. I
personally use it in my wifes stock Dodge Stratus. It's been in for over
5 years now and there are no problems. The stock radiators in the newer
cars are usually one row of 1" tube, which gives enough flow capability
for the cooling with NPG+.
The NPG-R is also good for 5 years as of now not every other
year....Tom

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, October 07, 2009 8:19 AM
To: tech@evanscooling.com
Subject: NPG+ or NPGR?
Importance: High

I'm sorry to bother you; but I'm afraid I'm still struggling to make a
determination as to which Evans coolant would be best suited for my
daily driven Mazda RX-8.

I understand that if I go with NPGR, I will have to replace the coolant
every other year. On the other hand, I am uncertain whether the OEM
radiator in the RX-8 is free-flowing and of large enough tube design to
be compatible with NPG+. I would very much like your honest assessment,
and if we're not certain, which product would be better to allow a
margin for error. The coolant pump on my RX-8 is also the OEM design,
and I have not modified the pulleys to alter the rotating speed from
stock, in case any of that has any bearing.

I am very much enamored of your product, ever since I first read about
your original coolant and saw it in action on your GT-class Camaro some
20 years ago and am hoping to convert over to either NPG+ or NPGR next
week when I am off from work.

Thanks and Regards,
Lane Lombardia

Last edited by longpath; 10-07-2009 at 10:47 AM. Reason: stupid asterisks
Old 10-08-2009, 12:40 AM
is adjusting valve lash

i used npg+ but decided that i didn't like it. and since i live in cali and like to track my car as chance arise... i've changed it out to NPGR.

and since vvhen did you have to change out npgR every 5yrs?

i thought both npg+ and NPGR are both maintenance-free... so almost for the life of the car....did something change?
remember, vvater is not used in conjuction to the coolant. so as long as moisture is kept out... it should be fine as advertised. and it really is only because corrosion from vvater that coolant needs to be flushed.

at any rate, let me knovv if something has changed for the npgR. and just ahead and use npgR if you are never gonna see belovv -10 degrees.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:22 AM
Registered

The lifetime for the NPG and NPG+ and every other year for NPGR is all from http://www.evanscooling.com/coolants/

From their site, regarding NPGR:
It is recommended to change the coolant at the end of the race season for racing or every other year for street driven vehicles with a maximum life of three years.
Based on the information from their own web site, I wrote to them to ask for clarification. What I posted was my email and the reply of Tom from Evans Cooling. The only changes I made were removing two asterisks that somehow got there when I copied over the email into the forum posting, and Xing over my email address.

According to Tom, they recommend swapping out NPGR ever 5 years, though they have not updated their site to state this yet. I included Tom's email address in the posting, so if anyone has any questions about his recommendation regarding their products, please feel free to drop him a line.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:43 PM
Registered

To get optimum results with NPG+ or NPGR, would it be desirable to use a higher temperature thermostat and to set the on and off temperatures for the fan higher?

I could see the potential for some power advantage by delaying the fan from coming on but have no idea how much the fan draws.

From the SCCA GT class car I saw them campaigning back some twenty years ago and a conversation I had with one of their team at Pocono Raceway, I remember that one of the advantages of them using a high coolant temperature was that it increased the temperature differential between the ambient air temperature and the coolant temperature. They said this increased heat rejection from the radiator to the surrounding air, so they were able to get away with less airflow through the radiator for a given amount of heat rejection (bear in mind, this was with a piston engine and is also my recollection of a conversation two decades ago that I had with them in the pits at Pocono). I was driving an FB at the time, and since it was very new technology back then, I wasn't brave enough to give it a try.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:32 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by neit_jnf

Where did you get your zero pressure cap, or did you mean that you don't run any cap at all? Does anyone make a zero or low pressure radiator cap for the RX-8 or should I plan on gutting my OEM one? I will be doing the conversion next week and am trying to sew up all the details beforehand.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:12 AM
d j
hukbong himpapawid

Originally Posted by longpath
Where did you get your zero pressure cap, or did you mean that you don't run any cap at all? Does anyone make a zero or low pressure radiator cap for the RX-8 or should I plan on gutting my OEM one? I will be doing the conversion next week and am trying to sew up all the details beforehand.
I removed the rubber gasket under the cap, leaves a very small gap between the reservoir opening and the pressure spring on the cap, this lets the pressure escape easily resulting in a very low (if not zero) pressure cooling system.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:47 PM
No respecter of malarkey

Evans Cooling told me to keep and use the OE pressure cap (unmodified) with the NPG-R

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Evans Npg Coolant