Series I Wheels, Tires, Brakes & Suspension

Carbotech pads on racingbrake rotors?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 11:20 PM
Hooked on go-fast crack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carbotech pads on racingbrake rotors?

After a year's worth of track events, my front rotors are officially in need of replacement. I've been looking at Racingbrake rotors, and everything I can find about them suggests they're high quality parts. My only concern is that I'm using carbotech pads at the track (XP8 front, Panther+ rear), and have read some comments that the carbotech pads cause problems with the Racingbrake rotors. Most of these comments had to do with the two-piece rotors, so my question is, does anyone here have experience with carbotech pads on one piece racingbrake rotors?

What other quality rotors (appropriate for track use) are out there at a reasonable price? OEM seems to be of decent quality, but are a bit pricey and I'm wondering if I can get something better for the same $$$ (maybe something that will last me a couple of seasons instead of just one...)
Old 01-17-2007, 12:17 AM
Modulated Moderator

Received 334 Likes on 289 Posts
I had 18 track days on the 2 PC RacingBrake rotors...they are still pristine....no grooving, warping or runout, and minimal wear. I used HPS and HP+ pads. Other than them wearing quickly...I have nothing but good to say about them.

I ordered a set of HP10 pads to try this year.....for the price, I hope they last a bit longer than the HP+. It will mean I have to swap pads back and forth..but It will be worth it for better braking....
Old 01-17-2007, 12:26 AM
No respecter of malarkey

Received 2,006 Likes on 1,635 Posts
the 1-pc rotor material is different than the 2-pc, you'll be OK using the Crapotech pads with 1-pc, change to Hawk pads if you get 2-pc
Old 01-17-2007, 08:38 AM
Hooked on go-fast crack

Thanks for the replies guys. Dannobre, it's comments like yours that make me believe the quality of the RB rotors is top notch.

Originally Posted by TeamRX8
the 1-pc rotor material is different than the 2-pc, you'll be OK using the Crapotech pads with 1-pc, change to Hawk pads if you get 2-pc
Ha ha. I know you share RB's opinion that C-tech are not "true" racing pads, but I've had good success with the XP8s. My main reason for not switching to Hawks is that the XP8s can be swapped at home before my 100+ mile trips to the track and be safe for the road. I want to avoid having to swap pads at the track because of the lugnut breakage issue I've read about here. If that were to happen at the track, on the morning of the track day, it would mean no lapping for me...

In the Hawk pads, the most aggressive pad that I could get away with this would be the HP+, and I'm not sure they'd be up to the task at the track. Last year it only took one track day at Mont-Tremblant to exceed the capacities of the Carbotech Panther+, which I think has a higher temp rating than the HP+.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:04 PM
No respecter of malarkey

Received 2,006 Likes on 1,635 Posts
fwiw, they have approved other pads for their 2-pc material

Originally Posted by RB website
It’s your own protection and responsibility to ensure that you use the true racing pads that used by professional racers like Hawk, Mintex, Raybestos (Porterfield), Cobalt or Pagid that can really take the heat without pad deposit concern. Nothing comes without a cost, professional racing pads prices are usually 20-30 percent more than Carbotech or Ferrado which are more popular to weekend racers.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:09 PM

Go for the XP8 or XP10! You will be happy with them. Your rotors will love you too.

Originally Posted by Marc_GS
Thanks for the replies guys. Dannobre, it's comments like yours that make me believe the quality of the RB rotors is top notch.

Ha ha. I know you share RB's opinion that C-tech are not "true" racing pads, but I've had good success with the XP8s. My main reason for not switching to Hawks is that the XP8s can be swapped at home before my 100+ mile trips to the track and be safe for the road. I want to avoid having to swap pads at the track because of the lugnut breakage issue I've read about here. If that were to happen at the track, on the morning of the track day, it would mean no lapping for me...

In the Hawk pads, the most aggressive pad that I could get away with this would be the HP+, and I'm not sure they'd be up to the task at the track. Last year it only took one track day at Mont-Tremblant to exceed the capacities of the Carbotech Panther+, which I think has a higher temp rating than the HP+.