Notices
Series I Do It Yourself Forum Wanna save some coin or time/money in the shop? Read up on Do-It-Yourself custom mods and repairs & post your own here.

DIY Ipod mounting bracket

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 03:55 PM
Flame Thrower

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIY Ipod mounting bracket

OK I simply could not fathum spending 30.00 for the mounting bracket from proclipsusa.com and then another 30.00 for the ipod clip that attaches to it so I went ahead and made my own and it came out great.

Here is a list of supplies you will need if you want to do this install

1)Corner support bracket from Home Depot used for support with wood construction cost: 1.61

2)Black paint cost and primer: 8.00

3)Suction cups from Home Depot cost: 2.00

4)One light duty plastic anchor cost: 1.00

5)One flathead counter sunken screw cost: usually free if you have one laying around

I will list the instructions along with each set of photos

The entire thing took me 20 minutes if you don't include the time it took to wait for the paint and primer to dry.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:15 PM
Flame Thrower

Here are pictures of the supplies:
The light duty plastic anchor (couldn't get a good shot of it)
The metal corner brace and suction cup are in one shot
And I really didn't think you guys wanted to see the cans of paint
Attached Thumbnails DIY Ipod mounting bracket-ipodanchor.jpg   DIY Ipod mounting bracket-ipod1.jpg  
Old 05-23-2005, 04:23 PM
Flame Thrower

After removing the Head Unit I drilled a small hole, smaller than the light duty plastic anchor and then fitted the anchor (which was a pain in the a**) but it worked out ok.

Next I sanded down the bracket to ensure a better taking to the paint,

Then (not shown) the bracket was grinded down and thinned out on the side that was to fit in between the Head Unit and the dash.

Next a hole smaller than the button on the back of the suction cup was drilled in the metal bracked to ensure a tight fit for the suction cup.

And a hole was drilled and counter sunken for the screw to fit through so the bracket could be mounted onto the inside of the dash.

As you can see from the picture the bracket was primered, drilled and peices needed to be cut away to make a small tab that would be the main mounting area for this mod, which is where the counter sunken screw is located after it is complete.
Attached Thumbnails DIY Ipod mounting bracket-ipodanchormounted.jpg   DIY Ipod mounting bracket-ipodprimer.jpg  
Old 05-23-2005, 04:25 PM
Flame Thrower

Next I painted the peice and then pushed the suction cup through with a little hand soap for lubrication and a small flathead screwdriver to help push the stubborn little button on the back through that hole.
Attached Thumbnails DIY Ipod mounting bracket-ipoddonenotmounted.jpg   DIY Ipod mounting bracket-ipoddonenotmountedback.jpg  
Old 05-23-2005, 04:28 PM
Flame Thrower

Next I mounted the bracket and made my minor adjustments to where I wanted the ipod to face me while driving. And of course reinstalled the radio which is always such a pleasure to remove and put back
Attached Thumbnails DIY Ipod mounting bracket-ipodmountednoradio.jpg   DIY Ipod mounting bracket-ipodmountednoipod.jpg  
Old 05-23-2005, 04:32 PM
Flame Thrower

And as you can see the finished product. This was a good mod and the Ipod sits sturdy without any problem at all I can even bend the bracket more towards my direction if I like after it was installed. I've had this on for 3 days now and I haven't had the Ipod fall off of the suction cup yet, we will see what happens once it gets really hot out, but I think it will stand up to the heat the suction cup seems to be very strong.

While I'm driving the E-brake is down and my hand rests on it, all I need to do is extend my pointer finger and switch the song it's really convenient.
Attached Thumbnails DIY Ipod mounting bracket-ipodmounteddonered.jpg   DIY Ipod mounting bracket-ipodmounteddone.jpg   DIY Ipod mounting bracket-ipodmountedclose.jpg  
Old 05-24-2005, 05:32 PM
Even My Dog Searches

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
couldn't the suction cup potentially lose suction and drop your ipod? Plus it's sort of a major eyesore when the iPod isn't there.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:58 PM

that u2 ipod goes very very well with the interior. problem is it has stupid u2's sigs all over it..... and they suck big time.

it looks very good when the ipod is there, but it seems like there have to be more attractive ways to mount it when its not.

im trying to figure out a mounting solution too being that my PIE unit arrives tomorrow, and i wanna figure out a way to mount it so it charges while its playing.... i have a spare dock and power cord so i can use those, but i have to figure out where to put them....
Old 05-25-2005, 10:26 PM
Flame Thrower

Well now I bought the monster charger which lays off the battery once it's charged too much so you don't burn it out fast.

I ran the monster charger from the cig charger in the middle console under the entire molding where the cup holders are and all the way around the sift and out the side of the pvc plastic closest to the floor on the passenger side near the left foot.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:54 PM
Flame Thrower

Originally Posted by Mugatu
couldn't the suction cup potentially lose suction and drop your ipod? Plus it's sort of a major eyesore when the iPod isn't there.
Actually the suction cup has lost suction a couple of times but the wiring keeps it from falling, I'm thinking about just buying the ipod holder to connect to the already mounted bracket. And yes it is kind of an eye sore when the ipod is not there but I'm never in the car without the ipod so you never see the suction cup.

And damn Mugatu your always hating on someone here hahaha! hate hate hate!!!! j/k but really your the mad rapper of this forum.