Notices
Series I Do It Yourself Forum Wanna save some coin or time/money in the shop? Read up on Do-It-Yourself custom mods and repairs & post your own here.

DIY: Kuda Phonebase install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 12:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DIY: Kuda Phonebase install

I have not seen anywhere an install guide for the Kuda Phonebase for the RX-8. The Kuda phonebase is a leather accessory for the 8 that installs very easily! The instructions included are very limited and do not really say much.
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Kuda Phonebase install-kuda-phonebase-floor.jpg   DIY: Kuda Phonebase install-kuda-phonebase-floor-2.jpg  
Old 12-28-2004, 12:37 AM

First make sure you have the LHD model and not the RHD. enless of course you drive the RHD then it should be fine :p get a tape-wrapped screw driver and pop out the center console. Just stick the screw drive in the wedge (carefully) and nudge the plastic up, you should here it snap out. Do that all the way around the console until it pops out, you should also take off your shift **** first. That's easy just unscrew it. If you have heated seats then disconnect those connectors and place that piece aside.
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Kuda Phonebase install-center-console.jpg  
Old 12-28-2004, 12:40 AM

Now, there are two screws underneath the ashtray that you have to unscrew and then bring your palms underneath the tray and pop it out, there are two little snappy things you have to pop out, then put that aside.
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Kuda Phonebase install-ash-tray.jpg   DIY: Kuda Phonebase install-console-off.jpg  
Old 12-28-2004, 12:51 AM

next you have to unsnap the headunit, If you have any questions on this, just search for threads on head unit removal. You do not actually have to remove the whole unit, just unsnap the bottom and the right side (for LHD) so you can fit the little metal piece behind it. slip the end of the phone base behind the stereo and make sure it fits snug on the side of your dash, and looks good...refer to picture...
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Kuda Phonebase install-stereo.jpg   DIY: Kuda Phonebase install-kuda-phonebase.jpg  
Old 12-28-2004, 12:55 AM

Once you have it mounted behind the head unit, snap the head unit back into place and you will find a piece of metal about a square inch at the end, just fold that back behind the plastic on the dash...That just makes sure it stays snug and does not move. Sorry no pics of that little metal piece, but if you have the phonebase youll see it instantly. What I did next was routed a car charger underneath the center console so I could charge my phone and not have the interior be so busy with cords and such.
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Kuda Phonebase install-car-charger.jpg  
Old 12-28-2004, 12:59 AM

Taking off the center console is very easy. I do not have any pics of it, but once you look you will figure it out. Unscrew the screw that is right in front of the cup holders. Then go back to the slidey back thingy where the second cigarette lighter thing is, and take off the black buttom part. There is 1 or 2 screws under that, unscrew those. Then proceed to the back compartment and take the black bottom off and there is 1 or 2 screws under that, and lastly where the passthrough compartment is, take the passthrough thingy out (between the rear seats) and there are two more screws right there. once all removed you can then just unsnap the center console very slowly and easily, making sure not to break anything.
Old 12-28-2004, 01:05 AM

Once you have both consoles off, you can route your car charger however you want underneath, making sure not to get in anythings way. Route the wires on the outermost part of the console. All I did was put the car charger wire through the hole for the cigarette lighter in the center console (it pops out if you use a flathead screw driver and some force) and fed the wire through the little bridges under the console around the shifter and underneath the ash tray. I fed the recieving end underneath the plastic. Once that is all finished and it is to your liking, reverse the whole process (except for the installation of the kuda phonebase) you wouldn't want to install it then take it off!! Just snap the console back in, screw in all the screws, then goes in the ash tray (2 screws), then plug the heated seat buttons in, snap that plastic piece in and you should be finished, hope I didn't forget anything
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Kuda Phonebase install-end-result-2.jpg   DIY: Kuda Phonebase install-end-result-no-phone.jpg   DIY: Kuda Phonebase install-kuda-phonebase.jpg   DIY: Kuda Phonebase install-kuda-phonebase-3.jpg  
Old 12-28-2004, 01:08 AM

Oh yea I did forget one thing. The Kuda phonebase, which I was really disapointed in at first does not come with the cellphone holder. I ordered that piece from a cellphone accessory shop for abotu 3 bucks. Works pretty well. The Kuda Phonebase can be found at: www.kuda-phonebase.com The phonebase cost 56.10 and is made with real leather! Hope that helps.
Old 12-28-2004, 01:14 AM

Ohhh yea I almost forgot, I superglued the plastic phone holder part to the phone base. If you have any other ideas on how to get that on there, let me know, I would like to see what other contraptions one can come up with!!!
Old 12-28-2004, 05:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice DIY.....should help with the "Where do you put your phone" thread! :D THANX!
Old 12-28-2004, 04:24 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice complete DIY, little666devil. Well done! :D
Old 12-28-2004, 08:02 PM
Attracts tree branches

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought from the pics this was the MS kneepad accessory :p
Old 12-29-2004, 07:00 PM
100% Italian

that is nice
I never thought anyone would buy that
but it perfect
I have to charge mine in the cupholder
what a pain
Old 01-03-2005, 09:26 PM
RLTW

Devil,
I saw something like this on a German web page, looks like you found the English version. Thanks for the DIY, good job. How is the super glue holding up? I am afraid that the cold weather that we have that the glue would become brittle and dump the phone in the floorboard........did you ever get any other suggestions/ideals? Thanks again for the DYI!
Old 01-05-2005, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by RX8 Pusher
Devil,
I saw something like this on a German web page, looks like you found the English version. Thanks for the DIY, good job. How is the super glue holding up? I am afraid that the cold weather that we have that the glue would become brittle and dump the phone in the floorboard........did you ever get any other suggestions/ideals? Thanks again for the DYI!
The super glue is holding up great. Although it isn't very cold out here in Cali. Lowest it has been was 32 degress a few nights ago. I have not seen any other things out there for cellphones like this...if so I would like to know!
Old 01-08-2005, 11:45 PM
RLTW

Little Devil,
Here is the German web page that I found http://www.ctd-germany.com/shops/rx8/shop_e/index.php a few months ago. It looks like the exact same product that you have.

I have given the problem some thought…and I think that I would use one of the three following methods for attachment; 1 short term fix, 2 long term solutions:
1. In the short term, I would have opted to use the Industrial Strength Velcro sold at Radio Shack. (This is no “normal” Velcro……when I say industrial strength, I mean it. I think they could use this stuff to put heat panels on the space shuttle!)
2. Take the phone holder you have or a plastic belt clip one and cut the clip off. Then use two long wood screws to screw the cell phone hold into the wood that forms the center of your base…. Or
3. Take a piece of plastic/leather/etc. (¾ x 1.5” or so) and attach it in two places running horizontally on the phone base, thus creating a belt like attachment point. Then use the standard plastic cell phone holder designed to clip on your belt to attach your phone.

Last edited by RX8 Pusher; 01-09-2005 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-09-2005, 02:10 PM

RX8 Pusher,
That is the same exact product I have. Those fixes you have seem interesting, I was quite hesitant about the superglue, and would have liked to use your wood screw method much more. As it is, it is working pretty good, I haven't driven my car much lately due to the heavy rain. I must admit having the phone holder is muhc better than keeping the phone in between your legs, or in the cup holder...or even in your pocket (all things I used to do).
Old 01-31-2008, 11:03 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Revive.

Just got the Kuda phone base.

I will use 3M molding tape to attach my magnetic phone holder.