Notices
Series I Do It Yourself Forum Wanna save some coin or time/money in the shop? Read up on Do-It-Yourself custom mods and repairs & post your own here.

DIY: Front License Plate Reposition (stock front bumper)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIY: Front License Plate Reposition (stock front bumper)

As you know, most of the RX8 owners who live in a state that require front license plate in their vehicles simply choose not to install it. We all agree that a front license plate in the 8 simply obstruct the design aesthetics of the front end. And for those owners who lives in states that do not require the front license plate, good for them...
I don’t want to start a battle of opinions regarding the front plate. Therefore, I decided to do something about it because of the following reasons:
1) I got a fix up ticket because I didn’t have a front plate in my previous car. I didn’t wanted to go again with all the hassle in proving that you got your plate installed in which translate to a waste of my time.
2) The stock front license plate holder sit a bit high, making the front end of the 8 to look like Bugs Bunny; specially with white color plate like here in Caly-forn-ya (good job Arnold! :D)
3) Because of the previous reason, the front license plate holder rubs the top painted section of the grill. So far there is no apparent scratches but I am sure with time, dirt will collect there and eventually will scratch the paint.
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Front License Plate Reposition (stock front bumper)-13.jpg  

Last edited by romulus; 07-26-2004 at 10:09 PM.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:05 PM

1) Remove you front license plate and front license plate holder. If you haven’t installed your plate, skip this step

2) From the original holes, drill the pilot holes at one diamond lower than the original by using a 3/16” drill bit, 1/2 ” deep. Skip this step if you are using self-tapping screws.
Looking closely at the grill you will notice that there are several dimples in the solid area of the grill. These dimples indicates where the tech need to drill out so that will expose the back nuts to secure the holder (I think that those nuts were factory installed) I also found the dimples to aid the installation of the long Euro plates holder. Note: I am not sure if this mod will work for the Euro plates. http://www.finishlineperformance.com...09_015_03.html
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Front License Plate Reposition (stock front bumper)-14.jpg   DIY: Front License Plate Reposition (stock front bumper)-15.jpg  
Old 07-26-2004, 10:08 PM

3) Using two #10, 1 1/2” long round headed screws or self-tapping screws proceed to install the plate holder at the next lower diamond. Do not over-tight! Notice that the OEM holder has these guides that sit inside of the diamonds so that you don’t have to guess if the holder is level with the vehicle. That is one of the reasons I decided to reuse the OEM holder.

4) At this point the front plate can be installed. However, this mod you loose the third attaching point because there is no more solid diamonds to tap into. Instead I decided to reinforce the holder by using two #10, 2 1/2” long round headed screws and some high-density foam as a spacer. See picture.

Now I can truly wash and wax my front bumper, and no more bunny like front end (at least not too obvious )
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Front License Plate Reposition (stock front bumper)-16.jpg  

Last edited by romulus; 07-27-2004 at 09:27 AM.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:11 PM
if your not 1st your last

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i swear if i could pay 200-400 bucks a yr to not have a front plate
i would.i tried the tickets thing for a while i guess the cops got tired of
handing them to me and threatned to tow my car from now.
so front plate is back on.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:14 PM

Yeah, can't win all the time. At least there is a less ugly alternative. Notice the gap in the new position, its about half inch. So works for me.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:28 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice DIY, Romulus! Great job! :D
Old 07-26-2004, 10:50 PM
2010 Prius - Miss the 8

Nice .. My dealership positioned the front plate rather low already... but I still left it off. I'm going to try and find out why Vettes don't need to have front plates. At least here in So Cali, I've yet to see a vette with front plates. 5 today, and no front plates. Are they exempt?
Old 07-26-2004, 10:58 PM
skc
rev it up

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I had ordered special number plates. These plates are a lot smaller then standard issue. I therefore asked my dealer to remove the front numberplate frame altogether and bolt the plate directly to the grill.

Works fine, and looks great...no lumpy frame. :D

skc
Old 07-27-2004, 01:00 AM
2010 Prius - Miss the 8

The Foreign plates look cool... too bad the US plates look blah. At least here in California it looks blah.

Heard you could paint the plates into the bumper of the car in other countries?
Old 07-27-2004, 11:48 AM
I WAS BEES

Originally Posted by Outlaws eXtreme
Nice .. My dealership positioned the front plate rather low already... but I still left it off. I'm going to try and find out why Vettes don't need to have front plates. At least here in So Cali, I've yet to see a vette with front plates. 5 today, and no front plates. Are they exempt?
I believe so. I don't think they even come with holes to mount them.
My best friend has had 2 vettes and a viper, none of them had front plates.
I didn't have front plates on my mr2, and from what I have heard (but then again it's up to the cop in the long run) it isn't really a problem (in California) unless you back into a space. Which I believe is illegal if you don't have front plates.
I might be mistaken, so feel free to correct me.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:53 PM
18 year old speed freak

I just got the green plates for my state (the old plates ) which require no front plate ... if you live in mass , just find someone who has a green plate ,offer them 200 bucks or so ,and boom you don't need a front plate
Old 07-29-2004, 04:08 PM
I WAS BEES

I doubt anyone cares . I spoke with my best friend about the vette plates, he said there is an adapter that snaps in that has the mounting screws. The viper didn't have one because it needs all of the cooling it can get.
Old 07-29-2004, 04:19 PM
Registered Lunatic

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Not painted, but in some countries there are stick-on front plates. I know back home in Hungary they have them. They are basically stickers that are smaller than the regular plates but have the same look.
I'm sure other countries have those too.
Old 07-29-2004, 06:32 PM
BSG 75

Nice job. After 11 months with the car and without a front plate, I got pulled last Friday for speeding. Talked my way out of it. Then, the cop walks around the front of the car and notices no front plate. I'm like, "well, he'll definitely give me the ticket now." I told him it fell off and it was in the trunk - I just needed to get the right size screws from the hardware store. He wanted to see the plate and I showed it to him. He let me go with two warnings.

I'm now taking a different route to and from work.
Old 07-29-2004, 06:37 PM
Thews8

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
they do.. here in Santa Barbara the PD will ticket even them,,,

But i do agree it seems that Vett owners get away with no front plate aloT !
Old 07-29-2004, 06:42 PM
Thews8

P.S. I mounted My front Plate with Machine screws. I did not use the Oem holder. I just Screwd through the Middel of the plate into the Grill.. Then i mounted the rx8 Frame holder to the plate. This way the plate does not stick out at all .. it lays down with the Grill .
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Front License Plate Reposition (stock front bumper)-rx8-137.jpg  
Old 08-06-2004, 05:35 PM

Hi,

As an alternative, I put my plate right in front of the rotary accent.
I used 2 angle brakets, and 2 ABS (plastic) bars, crossed together to hold the plate.
The whole thing got screwed together with 8 5mm bolts.
The hardest part was to cut into the plastic bars, so that they fit all right.

Front Plate fixation
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Front License Plate Reposition (stock front bumper)-687.jpg  
Old 08-06-2004, 07:05 PM
Thews8

that blocks alot of Incomming Air down there
Old 08-07-2004, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by thew
that blocks alot of Incomming Air down there
Not really, it's >2" ahead of the air opening, and air flows around it.
Nobody that tried that kind of placement did experience any extra heating.
I think that before it becomes a real obstacle, you would have to drive really past the limits. And if you do run track, you can easily remove the plate, by unscrewing the 2 bracket bolts.
Old 08-07-2004, 11:30 AM
Thews8

well yes.. reallly.. the airodynamics are designed to force massive airflow into the intake witch is on both sides of the Rotery accent. YOu plate will deflect some air.. I am sure its not enough to make a reall big diff.. but i just want you to be aware..

Old 08-15-2004, 02:51 PM
WHAT.... YEAH... OK!

The Foreign plates look cool... too bad the US plates look blah. At least here in California it looks blah.

yeah in india u are allowed to paint ur plate on ur bumper.
i was thinkin of getting the european type plate. i dunno what the rules on it are though
Old 08-26-2004, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by thew
they do.. here in Santa Barbara the PD will ticket even them,,,

But i do agree it seems that Vett owners get away with no front plate aloT !
and american pos muscle car can get away w/ it because most cops are uneducated jap car hating rednecks.
Old 08-26-2004, 05:54 AM
jump...

Originally Posted by tertou
Nobody that tried that kind of placement did experience any extra heating.
I think that before it becomes a real obstacle, you would have to drive really past the limits. And if you do run track, you can easily remove the plate, by unscrewing the 2 bracket bolts.
Last week i have placed my plate on that position. I DID experience extra heating, mostly on freeway on high speeds, high revs. There wuz also another problem, mesured outside temperature signal wuz 10 'C more than it really is. Today i will put the plates back or take them off completely.

ps. also, europe size plates are bigger than US so it is bigger problem here in europe
Old 08-26-2004, 11:26 AM
Likes to eat rice.

Originally Posted by SAKU SAKU SAKU
and american pos muscle car can get away w/ it because most cops are uneducated jap car hating rednecks.
My .02, most people who own "pos"(as you call them) muscle cars arent out doing the stupid crap that most people in jap cars are doing. i.e.- street racing, putting illegal stuff on their car. Not saying that you do the stupid **** to0, just an observation. Thats just from my observation here, might be different elsewhere.

I will agree with ya on the uneducated redneck part though! :D
Old 08-26-2004, 04:21 PM
zoom zoom

corvettes have that plastic piece that says "corvette" in the front bumper, but it's removeable and underdeath is the license plate bracket. my friend's dad's camaro just has that chevy bowtie thing in the front bumper and no brackets, and the cop still made him put the plate on. i have this old bracket for my FD but i don't want to put it on!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Front License Plate Reposition (stock front bumper)