Notices
Series I Do It Yourself Forum Wanna save some coin or time/money in the shop? Read up on Do-It-Yourself custom mods and repairs & post your own here.

DIY: Noise Insulation for the RE Short Ram Intake

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2004, 01:33 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
DIY: Noise Insulation for the RE Short Ram Intake

I LOVE my Rotary Extreme short ram intake except for one thing: It's LOUD as HELL! When I get on the gas, after about 6000 RPM, its so loud that the entire dash and windwhield vibrates. This got so tiresome that I decided to see if I insulate it.

The stuff I got came from Home Depot, and I found it back by the insulation. Sorry I can't recall the name right now, but it's pretty easy to spot... it looks like a gigantic roll of puffy aluminum foil... and it is, after a fashion.

It's actually two really thick pieces of foil-mylar-like stuff, very strong. Sandwiched between the mylar/foil stuff is what looks like clear bubble wrap, but it's actually stronger and more heat resistant.

So I bought this stuff (it was like $10) and some spray adhesive. After I got it home, I cut a piece and went after it with a heat gun. The "bubble wrap" like stuff inside did eventually melt, but not until it got really hot. Much hotter than the heat shields of my intake ever get.

So, I took out both heat shields, cut a piece to fit on the inside of the side and back covers, sprayed them with spray adhesive, and fitted the insulation stuff to it. When the intake is reassembled, it is completely invisible... and even when you've got the top shield open, it still looks pretty good.

I would say this has made a 50% reduction in the noise of the Rotary Extreme short ram intake. It's still loud at WOT, but not nearly as obnoxious as it was before. I'm still a little concerned about it melting, but so far I've got 500 miles on it and have had no hint that it will.

So, without further ado, here's what I bought:
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Noise Insulation for the RE Short Ram Intake-p3060009a.jpg  
Old 03-06-2004, 01:35 PM
Registered

Now remove both heat shields, cut the insulation to fit, and spray a layer of spray adhesive (also available at Home Depot) on the inside. Fit the insulation immediately, the adhesive drys pretty quickly.

Here's a shot of the back shield:
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Noise Insulation for the RE Short Ram Intake-p3060005a.jpg  
Old 03-06-2004, 01:36 PM
Registered

Do the same thing on the top cover. Here's a shot of what it looks like (open):
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Noise Insulation for the RE Short Ram Intake-p3060007.jpg  
Old 03-06-2004, 01:37 PM
Registered

And finally, reinstall everything. Invisible... and boy, what a nice sound reduction! :D
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Noise Insulation for the RE Short Ram Intake-p3060003.jpg  
Old 03-09-2004, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's the dumbest thing I think I've ever seen. You engine bay looks like crap. I'll give you a call next time I'm cooking baked potatos.
Old 03-09-2004, 03:46 PM
Human Being

baked potatos??? I think it looks fine!, it is not like the cover is off all the time
Old 03-09-2004, 03:46 PM
RainMan is Back

Originally posted by lugerxu
That's the dumbest thing I think I've ever seen. You engine bay looks like crap. I'll give you a call next time I'm cooking baked potatos.
Damn dude, why don't you chill out.
Old 03-09-2004, 05:12 PM
DRIVEN

Thanks for the write up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-09-2004, 05:28 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally posted by lugerxu
Um, hi welcome to the forum. You can leave now! You sound like some ricer that believes in form over function. You were also dumb enough to insult a moderator here, and a damn cool one at that!
Old 03-09-2004, 05:45 PM
4AT poor mileage king

Please, that troll (lugerxu) only has 8 posts...

Last edited by 310Guy; 03-09-2004 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:35 AM
Normality is Obscene

So that actually worked out well for you Omi? I'm looking at this intake as well as SR Motorsports package deal...leaning more towards RE but don't want to have to scream when talking to passengers...
Old 03-10-2004, 09:40 AM
Registered

Originally posted by XeRo
So that actually worked out well for you Omi? I'm looking at this intake as well as SR Motorsports package deal...leaning more towards RE but don't want to have to scream when talking to passengers...
Yes, it worked out excellently. Huge difference. It's no louder than stock at most throttle positions... it's only when I really get on it that it howls. And that's ok. :D
Old 03-10-2004, 10:46 AM
Registered

Don't you just love Home Depot!! They have everything you need--for your home and auto.
Old 03-10-2004, 11:00 AM
Momentum Keeps Me Going

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
With the covers and all, do you get the hesitation some have observed at certain RPMs?

Nice to see someone has solved the noise 'problem', for the most part.
Old 03-10-2004, 11:04 AM
Registered

Originally posted by Parmer8
Don't you just love Home Depot!! They have everything you need--for your home and auto.
Yes I do. The only thing they need is the equivilent stock of a good metal shop. Oh, and maybe a bar. :D
Old 03-10-2004, 11:08 AM
Registered

Originally posted by Spin9k
With the covers and all, do you get the hesitation some have observed at certain RPMs?

Nice to see someone has solved the noise 'problem', for the most part.
I note a hesitation at around 4500 RPM, but only when the engine is cold. I'm pretty sure it's one of the intake runner valves opening. Once the car warms up there is no significant hesitation anywhere in the rev band. I can still feel the intake runners opening, but they seem to do so faster and it's more of a blip than a hesitation.
Old 03-10-2004, 10:59 PM

yes, i have the RE too. I insulated the inside of the top cover as well with a similar type of insul., and it cut the noise down significantly...its to the point that i enjoy the sound on daily drive...mostly normal with a nice muffled howl. it does get pretty loud at WOT. i may do the inside of the box too just to see.

I MOUNTED THE AIR FLOW METER WITH THE INTAKE TUBE TURNED 90 DEGREES TO THE DRIVERS SIDE (SO THE AIR FLOW METER WAS FACING THE L. FRONT WHEEL WELL...HAD TERRIBLE HESITATION, UNTIL I MOUNTED IT FACING THE SKY AS DIRECTIONS SAID. NOW, NO REAL HESITAION ...JUST LIKE OMICRON SAID. WORTH MONEY FOR THE SOUND ALONE.

also, everyone says RE is great and typhoon is trouble...worth listening to feedback.
Old 03-12-2004, 09:52 PM

I do not yet own a 8. I was just skimming forums considering trading in my 94 firebird for a newer vehicle. After reading this thread I decided to sign-up just to post here.

Though the insulation you are using is a cheap fix, you might consider ordering some actual sound damping / insulation material. Knowing the engine compartment has heat considerations, try some that is also rated for heat.

The following I would think would work wonders for you. You could also consider the sides of the enclosure and what you can cover.

---------------------------------------------------------

MYLAR®-FACED FOAM SOUND/HEAT INSULATION WITH VINYL LINING
Protects against noise, vibration, heat and cold.
$32.99 - $66.99

Permanent noise/temperature insulation ideal for use in engine compartment, hood, trunk and fender. Great under mats and floorboards. Acoustical-quality foam reduces airborne noise and noise from engine by absorbing vibration. Aluminized 1/2-mil. facing is attractive and easy to clean. Reflects heat and prevents absorption of dirt, fuel, oil, water, etc. Installs easily with contact adhesive (sold separately). Trims with scissors or knife for perfect fit. Instructions included.

Last edited by Cormath; 03-12-2004 at 10:00 PM.
Old 03-13-2004, 12:21 AM
Registered

Hmmm, not bad. The stuff I picked out was mostly because of convienance... your selection looks better. Thanks!
Old 03-16-2004, 05:18 PM

Very nicely done man. Brings ideas to my head now ...
Old 03-16-2004, 06:50 PM
Registered

...of baking potatoes, perhaps? :D

LOL
Old 03-17-2004, 02:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dynamat

Ill post pics soon...
Old 03-17-2004, 02:31 PM
Humpin legs and takin nam

Hooking the vaccum tube for variable intake back up helps with the noise too.
Old 03-17-2004, 03:51 PM

YUMMY POTATOES!
Old 12-05-2005, 05:06 PM
8 all the way

I have a typhoon short ram intake and I like the sound that it makes. But I guess whatever you like. Good idea though.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Noise Insulation for the RE Short Ram Intake