Year: 2020
Make: Mazda
Model: RX-8
Price: $1
Mileage: 50000
Color: Blu/Blk/Red
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (US State/Canada/Int): SC

@speed7 thanks for posting these! Any idea how difficult it is to import one to the US?
Old 05-09-2019, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts
There is a write up in another section here on rx8club.

https://www.rx8club.com/purchasing-f...rience-265673/

the short version is you absolutely have to have to fix two issues.

1. Parts marking requirements:
At some year (not sure when) DOT requires parts to be marked with the vin of the vehicle. Possibly to track parts for cars being stripped and sold illegally. You can order these online through a 3rd party and costs about $200.

2. Factory TPMS installed and working.
There are a few ways to address this.. I went through multiple shops and contacted numerous Mazda dealerships. Even had a ticket opened with Mazda North America. Nobody knew how to code TPMS or enable this feature in the cars software. The short version is, in an R3 you have most of what is needed already. Except for the following, 1: 4 TPMS sensors (1 per wheel), 2: A cluster with the TPMS functionality.

My resolution for number 2 was to swap a complete computer system from a US based car. I purchased the matching set from EBay ($250). Purchase a used GT cluster from eBay, and sent the new cluster off to have it reprogrammed in order to have the mileage match. Then had a great Mazda dealership simply swap all of the components. They reprogrammed my smart keys to work and just like that TPMS was working. Others have said you simply enable it through IDS. If that is possible then you won’t need to swap anything except for the cluster.

Overall this process took me just under 4 months and was very stressful. There were a few gotchas that I had to figure out as well. One that stands out is to use a GT cluster so the automatic headlights don’t scream at you if they are on when exiting the vehicle.

if someone with more knowledge on the computer side knows how to simply reprogram the car that would ultimately be the best solution. Changing the cluster takes all of 10 minutes and is the least intrusive change.

And knowing what I know now, I'd be able to have a car imported start to finish within a months time, probably even just about 2 weeks. This is with the assumption I ordered parts ahead of time.

And the last bit of info that is I think the most important. Read the import laws like 10x's, have them printed out and have sections highlighted even. If you have the two issues addresed with the RX8 it is 100% legal to import. But you MUST correct those two infractions. The reason why I say read the laws 10x's is because each customs agent has their own interpretation of the laws. I'm sure there are a billion laws they have to know. So give them some credit of what they do and who I'm sure they deal with daily. By having the import rules printed out, any questions customs may have you can quickly reference it for them. And even show them.. that will make the customs portion that much easier. These cars are 50 state smog legal... it's the DOT requirements which are a federal mandate that you must correct. And there is no grey area on these laws, TPMS is a requirement as of 2018 and so is the parts marking. Granted these are not required as you drive the car across the boarder.. but it is required to get your paperwork done with customs. And I believe you have 120 days once you import the car to complete the process. If you can't then you have to surrender the car to customs.

Last edited by speed7; 05-09-2019 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for all of the info. This is really tempting since those r3s look super clean but it seems like with the customs fees, potential gas guzzler cost, travel etc it would probably put this out of my budget.

I am realllly kicking myself because my family has a car lot so I can buy from the auction and there was a clean 65,000 mile blue R3 that went for $7,000 last week. I held off because of it being as is but it had a deposit down on it before I could even call the lot it ended up going to.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:44 PM
Registered

Duty fee's aren't that crazy.. a but any state fee's are normal for when you're buying a car from a private party. In California I paid $1200 in registration fee's. Also thing to note, they don't like you bringing in cars from out of the country. At least mine didn't.. I kept reiterating that finding an R3 was hard since they are rare. Plus the R3 I got was in a color that is not available in the US. If you get a red or black one be ready for customs to really have you explain why it was worth getting from out of the US.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:49 PM

Hm thats an interesting point, I am hoping to find a black or blue R3 so it seems like the safest bet to wait it out for some more to go up for sale in the US.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:53 PM
Registered

Yes.. then just stick with a US version at that point. The other features that come on a Canadian Rx8 don't out way the headache that can ensue when doing this import.

Canadian Extras that are on R3's
Day time running lights
Auto sensing windshield wipers
Automatic headlights
Automatic climate control

Everything else is exactly the same.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:23 AM
cone killer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazz88
Any idea how difficult it is to import one to the US?
Check this thread.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by kanundra
Check this thread.
Same thread I linked to above.
Old 05-11-2019, 10:05 AM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Well guys, she is now sitting in my driveway, very dirty after an 800 mile trip but I couldn’t be happier as I’ve been waiting 11 years to get another one of these! Will snap pics after I clean her up.

Last edited by Nopstnz; 08-08-2019 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-11-2019, 12:33 PM
Registered

Sweet!! Congrats!
Old 05-11-2019, 01:23 PM
Smoking turbo yay

Received 666 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by speed7
There is a write up in another section here on rx8club.

https://www.rx8club.com/purchasing-f...rience-265673/

the short version is you absolutely have to have to fix two issues.

1. Parts marking requirements:
At some year (not sure when) DOT requires parts to be marked with the vin of the vehicle. Possibly to track parts for cars being stripped and sold illegally. You can order these online through a 3rd party and costs about $200.

2. Factory TPMS installed and working.
There are a few ways to address this.. I went through multiple shops and contacted numerous Mazda dealerships. Even had a ticket opened with Mazda North America. Nobody knew how to code TPMS or enable this feature in the cars software. The short version is, in an R3 you have most of what is needed already. Except for the following, 1: 4 TPMS sensors (1 per wheel), 2: A cluster with the TPMS functionality.

My resolution for number 2 was to swap a complete computer system from a US based car. I purchased the matching set from EBay ($250). Purchase a used GT cluster from eBay, and sent the new cluster off to have it reprogrammed in order to have the mileage match. Then had a great Mazda dealership simply swap all of the components. They reprogrammed my smart keys to work and just like that TPMS was working. Others have said you simply enable it through IDS. If that is possible then you won’t need to swap anything except for the cluster.

Overall this process took me just under 4 months and was very stressful. There were a few gotchas that I had to figure out as well. One that stands out is to use a GT cluster so the automatic headlights don’t scream at you if they are on when exiting the vehicle.

if someone with more knowledge on the computer side knows how to simply reprogram the car that would ultimately be the best solution. Changing the cluster takes all of 10 minutes and is the least intrusive change.

And knowing what I know now, I'd be able to have a car imported start to finish within a months time, probably even just about 2 weeks. This is with the assumption I ordered parts ahead of time.

And the last bit of info that is I think the most important. Read the import laws like 10x's, have them printed out and have sections highlighted even. If you have the two issues addresed with the RX8 it is 100% legal to import. But you MUST correct those two infractions. The reason why I say read the laws 10x's is because each customs agent has their own interpretation of the laws. I'm sure there are a billion laws they have to know. So give them some credit of what they do and who I'm sure they deal with daily. By having the import rules printed out, any questions customs may have you can quickly reference it for them. And even show them.. that will make the customs portion that much easier. These cars are 50 state smog legal... it's the DOT requirements which are a federal mandate that you must correct. And there is no grey area on these laws, TPMS is a requirement as of 2018 and so is the parts marking. Granted these are not required as you drive the car across the boarder.. but it is required to get your paperwork done with customs. And I believe you have 120 days once you import the car to complete the process. If you can't then you have to surrender the car to customs.
Curious: what do you mean by having your keys reprogrammed? Like re-pair to key to the car?

And where did you get your cluster programmed?

I would actually look to do this, just because I lost a tire and didn't catch it in time. Turned into an expensive repair as the tires I lost was NLA.

Edit: read the other post and it looks like you swapped your PCM as well? Ouch, I guess I will ask the dealer near me if they have an IDS then.

Last edited by UnknownJinX; 05-11-2019 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:23 PM
Registered

UnknownJinX, sent you a PM.

For others, reprogrammed the keyfobs to the "new" ecu that is in the car.

Cluster mileage reprogramming done by a user on Ebay.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:31 PM
Registered

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts
Keep the R3's coming. Very hard to find one in CA. Very motivated, preferably black color. Salvage ok. Doesn't need to be complete; blown airbags, damage, etc. ok. Happy to fly out or ship. LMK.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:04 PM
Registered

Pics as promised

The following 2 users liked this post by Nopstnz:
Federighi (05-17-2019), zoom-zoom-zoom (06-05-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 07:09 PM
Registered

Looks great, congrats on finally finding an R3!
Old 05-16-2019, 07:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by speed7
Looks great, congrats on finally finding an R3!
Thanks! Already got the BHR ignition installed last night. Makes a big difference. Buttery smooth engine now.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:38 PM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
wow ! looks awesome. congrats
suggestion - bhr midpipe - assuming SC does not do testing........ will take buttery smooth to super creamy buttery smooth.
but - somewhat stinky and youll have CEL light.
so what. its worth it........because...........you have a badass R3
Old 05-19-2019, 11:16 AM
Registered

Ehhh. I prefer the non stink and the sound right now is perfect for me. Maybe if they had a high flow option but I won’t do catless again. I used to have catless in my GTO and after driving behind me for 3 hours my friend said he was high from the fumes lol.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:56 PM

I was actually going to buy this from LW but I placed more focus on my 72 240z.Dang do I regret it..Enjoy it brother and when your ready to let it go shoot me a message.I'm on the hunt again for a R3 I miss my old R3 so much I keep the credit card key fob as a ornament on desk....One day...

Last edited by tslegendary; 05-19-2019 at 02:00 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:58 PM

@tslegendary the buyer had a deposit on this the day it was listed, are you saying you saw this even before he did? The competition is more serious than I thought haha
Old 05-19-2019, 02:04 PM

Actually Lazz, the salesman was about to take my offer but he told me there was 5 People lined up to take it.I as going to drive up the next day. 6 hour drive up.
Old 05-19-2019, 02:09 PM

Actually Lazz, the salesman was about to take my offer but he told me there was 5 People lined up to take it.I was going to drive up the next day. 6 hour drive up too.
Old 05-19-2019, 02:09 PM

It’s odd there are a few r3s that have been sitting on lots a few months then. Anyone know about the blue one in Cali and the red one in Virginia?
Old 05-19-2019, 02:25 PM
Smoking turbo yay

Received 666 Likes on 592 Posts
It's not that surprising. RX-8 in general doesn't sell very fast.

Maybe a bit less so for R3, but still.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:59 PM
Registered

Yeah I was in contact with them before they put up their own pics and told them to text me the moment their pics were up. After looking at them and the Carfax I had put a deposit on it in less than an hour after those pics were up. I knew the competition would be fierce as I've missed quite a few R3s in the past by not acting asap.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: {WTB} R3, Any Year/Color