RX8Club.com

RX8Club.com (https://www.rx8club.com/)
-   Gulf RX-8 Forum (https://www.rx8club.com/gulf-rx-8-forum-32/)
-   -   melted it down... dang... (https://www.rx8club.com/gulf-rx-8-forum-32/melted-down-dang-233875/)

GaryBuster 05-29-2012 04:44 PM

melted it down... dang...
 
My son's 8 lost the coolant cap and overheated/ melted the engine...

Out of warranty by 13k miles...

so... where do you take/ trust your engine rebuilds?? We live in deep east texas between Tyler and Palestine.

Dang.

Mr. B.

9krpmrx8 05-29-2012 04:59 PM

Call Rob at www.pineappleracing.com, there are Texas builders but none I would recommend and the shipping is about the same if not more in state than it is to send it out of state. Or call Curtis at www.revvinsevens.com about a used motor, he is in Texas.

WTBRotary! 05-29-2012 05:25 PM

^^^ are you crazy Scott?

Give Brian Cain a call at BDC motorsports in Texas http://www.bdcmotorsports.com ,hes a reputable engine builder, knows what he's talking about. Ive met him several times and have been to his shop to talk to him. My next engine will be rebuilt by him...

deadphoenix52 05-29-2012 06:07 PM


Originally Posted by WTBRotary! (Post 4274316)
My next engine will be rebuilt by him...

do you just expect failure now??

lol. you need to stop breaking these things man

WTBRotary! 05-29-2012 06:18 PM

My engine is fine... I need to post the Dyno...

9krpmrx8 05-29-2012 09:22 PM


Originally Posted by WTBRotary! (Post 4274316)
^^^ are you crazy Scott?

Give Brian Cain a call at BDC motorsports in Texas http://www.bdcmotorsports.com ,hes a reputable engine builder, knows what he's talking about. Ive met him several times and have been to his shop to talk to him. My next engine will be rebuilt by him...


It's my opinion man, we all form our opinions for different reasons. After all these years you are still a noob. Why don't you try doing some actual research before you start talking about who is reputable. I'll save my comments for a later date.

WTBRotary! 05-29-2012 11:23 PM


Originally Posted by 9krpmrx8 (Post 4274457)
It's my opinion man, we all form our opinions for different reasons. After all these years you are still a noob. Why don't you try doing some actual research before you start talking about who is reputable. I'll save my comments for a later date.


opinions are like assholes... everyone has one... but to say BDC is not a good builder I do not agree with... I have done actual research... Dont knock on me now, im not noob... Im not saying Pineapple racing is bad, im just saying BDC knows quite a bit...

There is nothing wrong with differing opinions... We are all on the same side here, dont get too hot headed now brosive... :beer05:

9krpmrx8 05-29-2012 11:32 PM

I just get tired of the hype, and people who have never had an engine rebuilt brag about a certain builder and how awesome they are, etc. etc. If you truly did research then I am curious why you think they way you do.

WTBRotary! 05-29-2012 11:41 PM

Having read Street Rotary and having read the countless engines BDC has built for 7's and some 8's for the guy who races them (his name has just slipped my mind) as well as having driven to his actual place and talked to the guy has been enough for me... As much as ive read IIRC, BDC built the highest NA Renesis yet for the guy who races... putting down like 232whp right?

granted I take the race engines with a grain of salt since they see a completely different environment then us street folk but it does say something... Having talked to him over the past few years and actually meeting him in person to talk about a rebuild made me feel pretty confident in his ability to make me a good engine...

I will agree with you, I have yet to see my engine get rebuilt by anyone yet so, I cant brag there, but after meeting him he left me with a good impression of his skill and the way he would build me a engine...

What reasons do you have not to recommend him? I would put all my money down on a brand new engine rebuilt by him then a crate motor from Mazda... Ive been through 7 engines from Mazda, granted some of them were shitty remans but ive had it with Mazda made engines... I mean maybe its just the shitty Renesis, maybe I should just throw a REW in my 8 and call it a day... who knows... Food for thought...

9krpmrx8 05-29-2012 11:50 PM

:lol: I assume you are talking about Eric Meyer? I suggest you find out where that relationship went and where it sits now.

Edit:

When we see each other next or talk I'll give you my honest opinion based on what I have seen/heard.

WTBRotary! 05-29-2012 11:53 PM

Eric Meyer! That's it... okay cool

You are correct, the proof is in the pudding...

Appreciate the help friend... I will look more into it...

Edit: Sounds good, I look forward to hearing your opinion...

BDC 06-02-2012 12:13 PM


Originally Posted by 9krpmrx8 (Post 4274549)
:lol: I assume you are talking about Eric Meyer? I suggest you find out where that relationship went and where it sits now.

Edit:

When we see each other next or talk I'll give you my honest opinion based on what I have seen/heard.

Relationship? What about it?

TeamRX8 06-02-2012 01:13 PM

BDC can do a good job for reasonable price, which is what this guy needs

ZoomX3 06-03-2012 09:04 AM


Originally Posted by GaryBuster (Post 4274294)
My son's 8 lost the coolant cap and overheated/ melted the engine...

Out of warranty by 13k miles...

so... where do you take/ trust your engine rebuilds?? We live in deep east texas between Tyler and Palestine.

Dang.

Mr. B.

Try Rotary Performance in Garland, Texas. They rebuilt my FD3 several years ago and it's still running like a champ! And yes, they work on RX-8's too.

GaryBuster 06-06-2012 11:38 AM

Brian... my and my son's "education" have been with a 12a in a first gen, along with putting/ flying 12a's in 2 gyroplanes... however.. regarding engine removal and reinstallation in the 8: I am not wanting my son's steep learning curve to be without supervision... IF you can use a free gopher, he can do the work if you'll guide him from making first time mistakes.

Let me know if this is workable! 903 217-6906

Gary Buster

cornholio135 06-06-2012 12:00 PM


Originally Posted by ZoomX3 (Post 4277680)
Try Rotary Performance in Garland, Texas. They rebuilt my FD3 several years ago and it's still running like a champ! And yes, they work on RX-8's too.

yes this is the shop that charges $704 for a tune up (coils, plugs, wires) just like a Mazda Dealer...:yelrotflm

ZoomX3 06-07-2012 08:28 AM


Originally Posted by cornholio135 (Post 4280338)
yes this is the shop that charges $704 for a tune up (coils, plugs, wires) just like a Mazda Dealer...:yelrotflm

The original question was "where do you take/trust your engine rebuilds". I recommend Rotary Performance. I don't know what a "fair" price would be for a tune-up but if RP told me $704 I would believe them.

stinksause 06-07-2012 08:37 AM

Gary, what exactly is your location?

GaryBuster 06-07-2012 01:58 PM

Stink... Frankston, Texas... on Lake Palestine.

lta_ds_fs7 06-07-2012 02:32 PM


Originally Posted by cornholio135 (Post 4280338)
yes this is the shop that charges $704 for a tune up (coils, plugs, wires) just like a Mazda Dealer...:yelrotflm



This is inaccurate...I assume you're talking about the price I was charged...It wasn't for a simple tune...This is what I was charged $704 for:


1.) Compression test

2.) BHR coils and wires were pulled, tested, and reinstalled

3.) 3 pulls ran on a dyno with BHR ignition

4.) OEM coils and wires installed

5.) 3 more pulls on a dyno with OEM ignition

6.) BHR Kit reinstalled once again

7.) Plugs pulled and cleaned, then reinstalled

8.) Time taken to locate the issue...Broken VDI discovered upon removal of parts.

9.) New VDI installed

10.) 3 pulls on the dyno with BHR and new vdi

11.) OEM ignition put back on

12.) 3 pulls on the dyno with new vdi and OEM ignition

**They also tested the fuel pressure...forgot to add that in.



Yes, the $704 included the coils, wires, and vdi ($95 alone), but don't relate RP to a dealership...The feel of my 8 from before and after taking it to RP is truly like night and day...Ask Brandon...He felt the difference too...They did a hell of a job, and ACTUALLY FIXED the problems...I've been dealing with this for a year, and it turns out I was right all along about my BHR kit, even though I was bashed for even considering it being the problem...True, the vdi was also an issue, but I never would have found that on my own...so I'm glad I set my pride aside and took my car in.

My point is, nothing is free...However, RP will give a great deal, and you can actually expect great work from them...I'm a supporter of anybody who is willing to give them their business...They deserve it.

9krpmrx8 06-07-2012 03:02 PM

I'm glad they got you fixed up but it seems like a lot bullshit to go through when they could have just checked the coils properly and checked for a vacuum leak from the get go. Taking a look at the STFT and LTFT would have likely shown the vacuum leak. Unless of course the VDI solenoid was just bad all together but then you should have gotten a code related to that.

But hindsight is 20/20 right and the most important thing is that your car is fixed. At the end of the day it's just money.

lta_ds_fs7 06-07-2012 03:17 PM


Originally Posted by 9krpmrx8 (Post 4281625)
I'm glad they got you fixed up but it seems like a lot bullshit to go through when they could have just checked the coils properly and checked for a vacuum leak from the get go. Taking a look at the STFT and LTFT would have likely shown the vacuum leak. Unless of course the VDI solenoid was just bad all together but then you should have gotten a code related to that.

But hindsight is 20/20 right and the most important thing is that your car is fixed. At the end of the day it's just money.


The vdi was literally broken...A piece snapped off and clogged a small space...The funny thing is I never got a code for it...The only code that came up was for my gutted cat.

And yes, you're right...At the end of the day, it's just money...I work for a reason...My 8 is like my child, and I have no problem spending money on it when I know it is absolutely necessary.

9krpmrx8 06-07-2012 03:36 PM


Originally Posted by lta_ds_fs7 (Post 4281642)
The vdi was literally broken...A piece snapped off and clogged a small space...The funny thing is I never got a code for it...The only code that came up was for my gutted cat.

And yes, you're right...At the end of the day, it's just money...I work for a reason...My 8 is like my child, and I have no problem spending money on it when I know it is absolutely necessary.

Weird, you should have gotten a code. Yeah most girls spend would say screw the car and blow $700.00 on a purse, you spent it on auto repair and dyno time. Weirdo.

lta_ds_fs7 06-07-2012 03:41 PM


Originally Posted by 9krpmrx8 (Post 4281669)
Weird, you should have gotten a code. Yeah most girls spend would say screw the car and blow $700.00 on a purse, you spent it on auto repair and dyno time. Weirdo.


Haha...I know...I would never spend that much on a purse...That's just dumb...Plus, I hate shopping...Unless it's online shopping for car parts.

9krpmrx8 06-07-2012 03:45 PM


Originally Posted by lta_ds_fs7 (Post 4281675)
Haha...I know...I would never spend that much on a purse...That's just dumb...Plus, I hate shopping...Unless it's online shopping for car parts.


Tas Loca.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:41 PM.


© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands