Notices
RX-8 Racing Want to discuss autocrossing, road-racing and drag racing the RX-8? Bring it here. This is NOT a kills/street racing forum.

Haven't autocrossed in 11 months

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 06:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haven't autocrossed in 11 months

I have not autocrossed (solo II) in almost 11 months. Instead I've done a dozen track days (most with instructors) and a solo I event.

Will my skills have deteoriated significantly with the layoff? I was decent before having done about 12 autoxes in the year prior to the layoff.

Any tips for getting back in autocross shape? Some of the local clubs get more runs (usually 12-15) so I figure I'd hit them up and try to get some more seat time.

I'm in a local competition with my friends where we compete on index at autocrosses with any of several local clubs. I need to get in four events to gain a shot at a trophy. One of the events is a "medium speed" autocross that I usually do well on because it takes place on part of an old NASCAR oval and requires some solo II and also track skills (and most people don't push it because they are afraid to hit the walls). But for the other three autocrosses, I'm a little worried since my friends are already in mid-season form
Old 07-11-2006, 09:12 PM
Imp
What's next?

You lose.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You want to go back to autocross after being on a track?
Old 07-11-2006, 10:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BlueEyes
You want to go back to autocross after being on a track?

There's a saying that goes "Autocrossers make excellent Road Racers, but Road Racers make horrible Autocrossers"

Old 07-11-2006, 10:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Imp
You lose.
Yep, that probably sums it up. Although, I'm not shooting for a top spot, just hoping to grab a trophy. We have about 30 guys in the competition and trophies to the top third so maybe I can snipe one.

As for track versus autcross, sometimes I enjoy the competitive rush of autocross (both solo I and solo II) versus the zen of driving around the track.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:11 PM
Ike
Blue By You

Originally Posted by AlexCisneros
There's a saying that goes "Autocrossers make excellent Road Racers, but Road Racers make horrible Autocrossers"

Then there's the saying that goes "Road racers will be bored out of their minds after wasting an entire Sunday for 5 minutes of tracktime".
Old 07-12-2006, 10:32 AM
Registered

I think there is another saying like:
"People that don't like autocross aren't any good at it."
Old 07-12-2006, 12:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Then there is that other saying that goes:

"People who can't accept that some people find autocross a waste of time make up a lot of stupid sayings"
Old 07-12-2006, 01:41 PM
Early RX8 Adopter

Originally Posted by BlueEyes
Then there is that other saying that goes:

"People who can't accept that some people find autocross a waste of time make up a lot of stupid sayings"
LOL, I know that most events give 3 or 4 runs, which sucks. But some clubs will give you 7+ runs and or test/tune days which at $30 bucks is hard to argue with.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:00 PM
Always lurking

The autoX group I frequent usually gets between 10~16 runs each event. Given the cost I don' thitnk AutoX is that bad. Besides track time = $$$$ so it is a little harder to go evry weekend. (well for me and poverty it is)
Old 07-12-2006, 02:44 PM
Early RX8 Adopter

I imagine that the people who are knocking autocrossing spend a lot of money and time on the track, or street race
Old 07-12-2006, 04:56 PM
05-08 SCCA BS Natl Champ

Originally Posted by Rotary Brother
I have not autocrossed (solo II) in almost 11 months. Instead I've done a dozen track days (most with instructors) and a solo I event.

Will my skills have deteoriated significantly with the layoff? I was decent before having done about 12 autoxes in the year prior to the layoff.

It is kind of like riding a bike, you always remember how. Now if you sucked before you still will. Most of the guys I know that stopped autox to go road race are a little rusty, but no more so than if you just did not autox for those 11 months. I would guess by the end of the day you will be back on your pace.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:52 PM
Ike
Blue By You

Originally Posted by lourx8
I imagine that the people who are knocking autocrossing spend a lot of money and time on the track, or street race
Actually, I'd imagine the people that don't understand where we're coming from have never done and real racing. I'd rather race my RC car than autox, because with RC racing I get about 40 minutes of actual racing and it only takes up about 4 hours time. And then there's the fact that you're actually racing someone rather than dodging a bunch of cones against a clock.

I've done trackdays, practice days, full out nationals level races in my shifter kart and sportsman kart. I've raced all different types of RC cars and real cars (all street cars), I've raced motox, I've raced BMX bikes and snowmobiles. Autox comes in a distant second to every single one of them.

If you think autox is a great time and that's it's worth wasting an entire Sun. for 5 minutes of tracktime, good for you. I used to think making out with girls was great as well. But I can't remember the last time I just made out with a girl, but I can remeber the last time I had dirty sex with one.

For anyone who needs cliffnotes...

Autox = Making out (fun if you don't know any better)
Trackdays = Masterbating (not as good as the real thing but pretty good if you're feeling lazy)
Racing others on a track = Dirty Sex ( a memorable experience that will last long after you've hung your helmet up)
Old 07-12-2006, 09:38 PM
05-08 SCCA BS Natl Champ

Originally Posted by Ike

Trackdays = Masterbating (not as good as the real thing but pretty good if you're feeling lazy)
I don't care who you are, that is funny.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:22 PM
Rotary Public

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I do both autox and track. For the most part I run with whoever is doing something on the weekends I don't have my daughter. With my home club (MSCW) I'll get as many as 16 runs in 1 day. With others it'll be more like 8 runs. The DC Region SCCA has a larger course and higher speeds, but with ~270 drivers showing up it's only 4 runs. Track days are another matter - I see serious addiction on my horizon.

Oh yeah, Rotary Bro - give it hell. You know you want to.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:43 AM
Not ******

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Holy crap. Another autocross versus track thread. I cannot wait to subscribe to this thread. I imagine some truly insightful posts will come out in this thread.

Old 07-13-2006, 08:43 AM
Early RX8 Adopter

Originally Posted by Ike
Actually, I'd imagine the people that don't understand where we're coming from have never done and real racing. I'd rather race my RC car than autox, because with RC racing I get about 40 minutes of actual racing and it only takes up about 4 hours time. And then there's the fact that you're actually racing someone rather than dodging a bunch of cones against a clock.

I've done trackdays, practice days, full out nationals level races in my shifter kart and sportsman kart. I've raced all different types of RC cars and real cars (all street cars), I've raced motox, I've raced BMX bikes and snowmobiles. Autox comes in a distant second to every single one of them.

If you think autox is a great time and that's it's worth wasting an entire Sun. for 5 minutes of tracktime, good for you. I used to think making out with girls was great as well. But I can't remember the last time I just made out with a girl, but I can remeber the last time I had dirty sex with one.

Autox = Making out (fun if you don't know any better)
Racing others on a track = Dirty Sex ( a memorable experience that will last long after you've hung your helmet up)
Yeah but racing RC cars doesn't give us any seat time... Just Kidding. I see your points, track and real racing is undoubtedly more exciting, but for those that need seat time and dont have tons of money to spend racing other "things", autocrossing does not seem like a waste of time. However, given your background and experience I can certainly understand why you feel that way towards it.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:43 AM
Rotary Public

Originally Posted by John V
Holy crap. Another autocross versus track thread. I cannot wait to subscribe to this thread. I imagine some truly insightful posts will come out in this thread.

Autocross = fun
Track = fun

Personally I don't see any issues there.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:06 AM
Registered

The venue for my return to autocross, this weekend.
Should be a good time.

Old 07-13-2006, 09:35 AM
Early RX8 Adopter

Holy crap, that is awesome! not your run of mill parking lot course. Got more pics?
Old 07-13-2006, 09:46 AM
Rotary Public

Originally Posted by lourx8
Holy crap, that is awesome! not your run of mill parking lot course. Got more pics?
Yeah, and where is it?
Old 07-13-2006, 10:10 AM
Always lurking

Originally Posted by Paul_in_DC
Yeah, and where is it?
That is the awesomeness that is the tire rack test facility in Southbend, Indiana. I have done a few events there and they were alot of fun. Depending on how they set up the course it can become a highspeed autocross event.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:26 AM
Early RX8 Adopter

Lucky bastards!
Old 07-13-2006, 11:17 AM
Registered

Yep, tirerack can be fun. I'm kind of excited because last time I was there was a couple of years ago in a heavy BMW convertible with all season tires.

Here is another of our fun local autocrosses. This is for the "medium speed autocross" that I mentioned. It uses this 1/3 mile oval and you'll get into third gear with the RX-8.

We call it the Lake Geneva Monster.

Old 07-13-2006, 12:38 PM
Not ******

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Rotary Brother
We call it the Lake Geneva Monster.

Be sure to rotate the right side tires to the left side between runs.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Haven't autocrossed in 11 months