Notices
Series I Do It Yourself Forum Wanna save some coin or time/money in the shop? Read up on Do-It-Yourself custom mods and repairs & post your own here.

DIY: Custom fiberglass enclosure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 08:08 PM
Bubblicious? DEF.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIY: Custom fiberglass enclosure

Okay.. so i started the first one and said if it came out good i would write up a DIY...
When i was about to mount the Subwoffer ring i though if i do both sides at diff times it wouldnt come out symetrical... so here i go starting the second one.

MATERIAL.
Gallon of resin
fiberglass cloth or mat (i used both alternating on each layers)
resin hardener (comes with resin but most people find that its not enough)
Blue painters tape/ aluminum foil
1 quart measureing cups (few)
a few cheap paint brushes. (homedepot sells a pack with like 10 diff brushes for like 5$ that work quiet well, you dont wanna go TOO cheap on the brushes where the brissles start falling out a lot..)
Mixing stick
MDF wood
Screws and T-nuts
wooden dowels
wood glue
Fleece fabric
Wax/vasline/Pam oil..
Garbage bags

SAFETY.
Goggles
TONS of disposible gloves
Respirator

TOOLS.
Probably can do most of this with a jigsaw but some other recomended tools are..
Dremel
router
Drill
Sissors
hot glue gun

PLEASE dont try this until its completely done as you can see i edited some post already as i forgot one or 2 things...

(pic some of the materials)
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Custom fiberglass enclosure-mini-picture-039.jpg  

Last edited by LiL BenNy; 04-17-2005 at 01:21 AM.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:14 PM
Bubblicious? DEF.

Step 1:

Ok first off you have to mark off where you want to make your sub enclosures.. I decided to make them in the corners therefore not killing tooo much of my trunk.

Here is where you have 2 choices...

1. you can just use blue painters tape. on the first one i did 3 layers.. 1st up and down 2nd side to side then 3rd up and down again (doesnt matter which one you do twice as long as they criss cross) this options is fairly effective but uses up basically a whole roll of tape.

2. Is what is being pictured here... this is the first time i personaly have done this but i've seen others use this method before and come out succesful. basically instead of wasting all that tape you use aluminum foil to cover big areas then tape the sides... (just tried this... i dont recomend this it was a pain in the *** and i dont recomend it for first timers.. if you know what you're doing i guess it will be fine but you have to lay the aluminum foil PERFECTLY or else it will move and you will have air behind the foil and your box will had a few curves it shouldnt have...) DONT USE THIS. IT SUCKS. lol. trust me. i wasted alot of money trying this crap.

In this step make sure you dont leave big air bumps otherwise when you lay the fiberglass it will come out having a lump but that was only formed because of the sloppy covering of the area.
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Custom fiberglass enclosure-mini-picture-008.jpg   DIY: Custom fiberglass enclosure-mini-picture-009.jpg   DIY: Custom fiberglass enclosure-mini-picture-011.jpg  

Last edited by LiL BenNy; 04-26-2005 at 07:27 PM.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:16 PM
Bubblicious? DEF.

Step 2:

Next I covered my car by taping a few garbage bags to the side incase of spills/ drips. VERY good idea so you dont damage that beutiful RX-8 of yours!

Next you will want to use either PAM, Wax, or vasaline. you will apply this all around the covered area, this will act as a lubracant when you take the mold out.

(thats all i have for tonight hopefully ill have time tomorrow)
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Custom fiberglass enclosure-mini-picture-033.jpg   DIY: Custom fiberglass enclosure-mini-picture-034.jpg   DIY: Custom fiberglass enclosure-mini-picture-037.jpg   DIY: Custom fiberglass enclosure-mini-picture-038.jpg  

Last edited by LiL BenNy; 04-17-2005 at 01:20 AM.
Old 04-16-2005, 12:37 AM
Registered

Very interested when you get the time....
Old 04-16-2005, 10:57 PM
Original Turbo 'd Auto !!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool stuff. I did a box this way. keep us posted..
Old 04-17-2005, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by 09Factor
Cool stuff. I did a box this way. keep us posted..
me too - Its easier the second time you do one as well.
Old 04-17-2005, 01:31 AM
Bubblicious? DEF.

Step: 3

Now you will begin laying fiberglass....

WEAR GLOVES RESPIRATOR AND GOGGLES (actually i didnt think goggles were neccesary in this stage)

First you will add the hardener to the resin (see bottle for detail... i believe its 14 drops per 1 oz) and mix. basically the more hardener you mix the less cure time it is but less time to work.. vis versa.. i perfer to pour in large amount and use less hardener. cuz i usually will do a few layers and then leave it overnight so i figure i dont need that much hardener.

then using the paint brush you will want to coat everywhere with resin

Now start laying the fiberglass mat or cloth.

NOTE: alot of the times you will hear me saying you have 2 options. thats because in fiberglassing a lot of things are preferences. there is no ONE specific way, its mostly your preference and what you like to use

Ok I like to use both mat and cloth. one reason is since i switch after each layer it is easier to tell if i missed a spot.. EX if i use mat on my first layer then cloth on my second layer, after you lay the cloth you can see the texture is different... and if its not then you add cloth there... basically i switch to use them as an indicator notifying me if i missed a layer, therefore i wont have a weak spot on my box.

(now cut the cloth into smaller pieces and rip the mat into smaller pieces. most people say in strips but i find it easier to make them all different sizes making it easier. EX if there a 6" x 6" spot im not going to cute 2 3" x 6" stripes...)

SO with that said i then placed a piece of FG mat on top. then with the paint brush i dabed more resin on it. keep dabbing untill clear. once clear move to next piece. also make sure you dab all the bubbles out otherwise it will create a weak spot in your box. also over lap the pieces so they join together better.

Next i added my second layer (FG cloth) then clean up and let it sit overnight!
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Custom fiberglass enclosure-mini-picture-040.jpg   DIY: Custom fiberglass enclosure-mini-picture-044.jpg   DIY: Custom fiberglass enclosure-mini-picture-046.jpg  

Last edited by LiL BenNy; 04-17-2005 at 01:35 AM.
Old 04-17-2005, 01:37 AM
Bubblicious? DEF.

Step: 4

After you have waited overnight or long enough for the FG to dry now you will want to remove the mold.

put on a glove and pull an edge out.. then stick your hand behind it and slowly start taking out the mold!

Sorry no pics... i forgot and my hand was covered in vasaline lol.
Old 04-17-2005, 01:40 AM
Bubblicious? DEF.

Step: 5

now that the mold is out of the trunk it will be A LOT easier to work with. most people recomend 6-7 coats of FG. so, hurry on and lay that fiberglass! as you do this you will notice your FG to begin having wieght

this is how i laid mine..
1 mat
2 cloth
3 mat
4 cloth
5 mat
6 cloth
7 mat

PICS
1 FG right after taking it out of the trunk 2 layers..
2 FG after today. 4 layers.
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Custom fiberglass enclosure-mini-picture-048.jpg   DIY: Custom fiberglass enclosure-mini-picture-049.jpg  
Old 04-26-2005, 02:47 AM
Registered

Any updates on the enclosure?
Old 04-26-2005, 03:52 PM
Still spining

Yeah i am interested on how this came out
Old 04-26-2005, 03:55 PM
X-Sapper

that makes 3 of us:D...looks like i might even be able to pull this off........well at least pull it off with out gluing myself to the inside of my trunk:p
Old 04-26-2005, 07:26 PM
Bubblicious? DEF.

yeah heres an update. dont use aluminum foil. my second side came out like crap. the shape wasnt as nice as i wanted it due the aluminum foil moving. i didnt FG enough. and my resin was being gay.. TIP IF THE RESIN GETS GEL LIKE. DONT BE CHEAP AND USE IT. ITS NOTTTTTTT WORTH IT.

all in all i have to redo the second side and kinda running low on cash so it might be a while.. sorry.
Old 05-07-2005, 02:10 AM
Travel Junkie

keep us posted. I'm thinking about doing this myself.

-Scott
Old 05-10-2005, 07:03 PM
Registered

Fiberglass Tutorial

This link is to my build of a custom fiberglass setup through completion. If you have questions just email.

Bob

https://www.rx8club.com/showthread.p...lass+enclosure
Old 05-10-2005, 07:42 PM
100% Italian

nice job man
I wish I had the patience for that
Old 05-20-2005, 03:47 AM
Bubblicious? DEF.

Step: 6

Making the subwoofer ring.

cut out 2 circles, in 3/4 inch and 1/2 MDF the size depending on subs...

EX mine are 10" subs... i BELIEVE its something like.. 12in diameter..(this is really your preference) then the inner diameters are 9.25 and 10 I believe...

result should be
12" diameter 10" inner diameter ring in 1/2 mdf wood
12" diameter 9.25 innder diameter in 3/4 mdf wood

site to help you on this http://chris.pfharlock.com/glass/makerings.htm

many people use a routor.. i dont like it i used a jigsaw with the circulars guide from sears...

here are pics...(pics arent working ill post them up when i get back)
Old 11-10-2012, 11:32 PM

If anyone is.selling a set of sub enclosures pm Me please or email me kfletcher3203@Hotmail.com