Notices
RX-8 Discussion General discussion about the RX-8 that doesn't fit in one of the specialty forums.

Extended Warrenty Thoughts.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 08:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Extended Warrenty Thoughts.....

I was thinking of getting an extended warrenty for my 8 to cover it for 6 years 100,000 miles but was wondering what others thought. I feel I shouldn't really get it unless before the factory warrenty ends I have something major go wrong with the car, because the rotary should be very reliable and the transmission seems to be of good quality as well. The only parts that worry me (expensive) if something were to happen to them are the electronic throttle, the electric steering, and all the other possible electronic parts that could go bad. What are you guys suggestions or comments. Also, I just ordered the front and rear accents and I think they are going to look great on my black 8 to help break up the plastic from the paint, kinda excited!!
Old 04-04-2005, 09:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my main consideration for the extended warraty is that this is a very technological and proprietary car. as such there's not going to be much of an aftermarket for parts or technical knowledge outside of fanatics and enthusiast places.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I wrestled with this when we bought our 8 about 2 weeks ago.

Naturally, the Finance guy really put the pressure on for us to purchase an extended warranty - this is their bread and butter. I have never bought an extended warranty on anything (cars, washers, tv's, etc.) and haven;t had a problem.
After discussing exactly how much the extended warranty 6yrs/100k miles) we discovered that we would be paying approx. $1,700 for the extra 2 yrs / 50k miles at the end of our 60 month loan. He made it sound like it wasn't that much - just think, you'll have an extra 50k miles and 2 years of coverage for only $28 per month...that's less than a dollar a day.
Well, my opinion is that I'd rather have the $1,700 in my pocket and 'if' something should go wrong with the car during that period, hopefully it wouldn't sooooo major as to exceed $1,700!
I turned down the extended warranty - but, to each his own.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by apotocki
Well, my opinion is that I'd rather have the $1,700 in my pocket and 'if' something should go wrong with the car during that period, hopefully it wouldn't sooooo major as to exceed $1,700!
Ditto. At a 10% return, you will have almost $2500 after 4 years. Additional thoughts:
 Extended warranties often charge you a fee ($100 sometimes) to "process" each claim
 There is always the battle over what is covered and what is not. The dealer will tell you it covers everything except normal wear and tear, but then you find out there is fine print that lists exclusions.
 There may be disclaimers for after-market parts that are different from the manufacturer's warranty since third-party insurers can do anything they want.
 As if this wasn't enough to make one think twice, there is the issue of the company going out of business. Warranty Gold was a widely respected and held third-party insurer, and back in 2002 their underwriter went belly up. Guess what? They are still in business, but are not honoring claims for policies with the old underwriter.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:16 PM
Registered Rep

I humbly disagree. In the short time I've owned the 8, I've noticed that a) parts are not well stocked at the dealerships b) parts take a while to be shipped to the dealerships and c) even simple repairs seem to take an inordinate amount of time to complete. While this situation may change in the years to come, there are already owners with 30 to 40k miles on their cars fast approaching warranty expiration. They will certainly find the lack of parts and timeliness of repairs very disappointing and costly. Seems like the old oil commercial "you can pay me now, or pay me later" may be relevant in this case.
On a side note, I recently received an extended warranty application from a third party provider in the mail. Closer inspection revealed that the RX8 was not even a covered vehicle. If you do decide to go with an extended warranty, read carefully through the coverage exclusions to make sure it covers everything you think it covers.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well my dealer gave me information on their supplier Fidelity and a Platinum coverage warrenty for 6/100,000 with a ZERO deductable was going to be $1580. I would feel more comfortable with the Mazda MEPP plan, so I am checking with other dealers to see what the price is on it, it is just strange that not all dealers sell the MEPP.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:52 PM

Brice,

Pls follow up with details about the MEPP and other plans.

I too am looking at the extended warranty. I have been quoted $1400 for 7yrs/100K mi, but that was with a provider named Western General being sold thru the dealer where i bot my car. I haven't read the contract details, but the dealer claims that it's bumper to bumper, excluding normal wear & tear with a $100 deductable.

I'd definitely feel more comfortable with a Mazda warranty like you say.

Let us know man. Thanks.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my dealer absolutly refused to meven offer a mazda warranty on my 8.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:10 PM
May Cause Anal Leakage

Here's what I did when I bought my first new car. I too had the option of buying the extended warranty,however I decided to instead put the money I would have spent on the extension and put it in a savings account. By the time the car was paid off and the original warranty was up I had nearly 2500.00 in that savings account. Remember,since it's a savings account you can use the money for other things that pop up unexpectedly. Nothing major ever went wrong with the car so I ended up with a good amount of money left over to use for mods etc. Now of course this isn't the right thing for everyone. you need a bit of discipline to leave the money in the account and not keep taking it out for other things not car related. I just kept telling myself that "this is my extended warranty account" and if anything major DID go wrong I would need it for the repairs,parts etc.. Just my .02 cents anyway.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:52 PM

Try reading this site. Its an excellent resource to look at info on extended warranties and the warnings associated with it. Bottom line. Don't get it from the dealer unless you know its a good deal and wait to find a company outside the dealership.

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/warrant...51%3A12%202005
Old 04-18-2005, 08:29 PM

ONLY- REPEAT ONLY buy a Mazda MEPP backed extended warranty by APCO which is owned by Ford.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Aseras
my dealer absolutly refused to meven offer a mazda warranty on my 8.
Find another dealer