Notices
Australia/New Zealand Forum They come from The Land Down Under.

Taka's exhaust comparisions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 05:30 PM
DCD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I remember a while back looking around and Taka had put up some information from a japanese magazine rating exhausts out of 4 (4 was presumably the loudest) for noise and fit?
I have been seaching the forums but I cannot find this information, and I am currently considering an exhaust. Can someone point me in the right direction for this info please?
At the moment I am leaning towards the HKS, because I have heard that it is nice and quiet at low revs, almost stock at idle, but above 5G it lights up and howls. This sounds perfect to me, as I like a bit of noise (my old S15 used to scream :D) but I am also worried about cops.
I have heard that the fujitsubo is very quiet, and the mazda speed is very quiet. The greddy is ment to be super loud?
AutoExe is ment to be nice, havn't heard much about it?
The RE-Amemiya I hear is good, as they are solely rotary tuners, but I havn't heard anything about how loud it is, and I don't know if I like the downturned tips.
I am really only looking at JDM parts as I can easily get them.
Any advice from anyone or anythign anyone has to add?
Old 09-07-2004, 05:59 PM
www.rx8club.com.au

Have you heard the Hymee exhaust?
Old 09-07-2004, 06:13 PM
DCD

No I havn't.
I don't know if he sends them over the ditch, but if so I would appreciate a price quote if he happens to see this thread. I know I have seen prices before, but I don't think he has them on his website, and I would need to know how much shipping would be as well.
A lot of people seem happy with the Hymee exhaust, but to me its kind of an unknown factor, something to think about but like I said above I am really looking at JDM ones first and foremost.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:52 PM

DCD,

That information, is a guide (correct me if i'm wrong Taka).....but that info is a guide from Japan's Hyper REV "RX8" Edition.

What that is is a bit like "HOT4's" or "fast fours and rotaries" magazine.....except the magazine is purely 100% dedicated to "RX8".

The magazine brings out all types of part listings, and in the instance of exhaust, classes the parts sound in a rating. Another example is that it tests out many "spring" manufacturer, and rates whether the spring is a better addition for road or track......

it's issue 96, I have it home, n-e way... here is a brief link...

http://japanbookplaza.com.au/shop/pr...ducts_id/21983
Old 09-07-2004, 06:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am flattered. This is the first post that someone name the thread after me and seeking info and :embrassed:

I did talk about it. I think it is in the Hymee exhaust thread somewhere. I will go home tonight to list all the horse power and sound loudness from the HyperRev Magazine if you like. You have heard my Fuji from the video I took with the crappy Sony P10?

By your discription of the HKS and the way you like it, you have to hear Hymee before put your money for HKS. But how do we do that in NZ?
Old 09-07-2004, 07:37 PM

DCD,

The exhaust you are after is exactly what Hymees exhaust provides. Unless you want to pay too much for other exhaust systems that don't give you any additional benefits then HYMEES exhaust is the one to go for!

Hymee's website address is below so if you contact him I am sure he will be only too pleased to provide you a quote.
http://www.hymee.com/rx8

Cheers,

Joe
Old 09-07-2004, 09:20 PM
DCD

Wow that book looks neat, man I wish I could read japanese! It looks like something that every RX8 owner should take a look at, at least once or twice.
Taka, yeah I have heard that clip from of your car its hard to hear though, a lot of wind noise. What we need is like a clip I saw of M3's exhaust, where they have 5-6 diff M3's, and on the same day, they line the cars up one by one, and get them to rev to about 6G then they drive off, pushing to redline in first two gears. It gives a great indication of the differnt exhausts and the best thing is they are all doing the same thing, so you can compare!
Its hard because most of the RX8 exhaust clips I have heard you don't actually know what people are doing in them.

Oh and Taka thanks, I would very much appreciate any info you can give me on the different exhausts. That would be great!

Well yeah if anyone has any comments on the different JDM exhasuts please keep them coming, it would be great if someone here has actually heard a hymee and a HKS and can offer a comparison?

And on that I'm off to give Hymee and email :D
Old 09-07-2004, 11:20 PM
'RX-EIGHT'

I've got a HKS on my 8, while 8ABY8 has got a Hymee on his.
Both are two different styles of exhausts which are difficult to compare.
One man's cup of Earl Grey may not be another man's Jasmine (tea, that is).
A few of the guys who attended the meet on monday night may be able to give you their opinions since there was Hymee, HKS and Ric Shaw exhausts present and we conducted somewhat of a "soundoff".
The HKS was not what I expected when I ordered it since it is loud and brash, but over time I have learned to love it since it suits my personality.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:39 PM
DCD

So nojooc you have the HKS? You say its loud and brash, is it super loud all the time, or is is fairly quiet unless you really get on it? Basically I like a nice loud exhaust, but I'm worried about undue attention from the boys in blue.

What kind of loud is it? Is it like a buzzsaw? A deep tone, or very high pitched? I know its hard to describe sounds, but anything you can tell me would help greatly!

Over here if your exhaust is too loud its at the warrent issuers discretion to state your car unroadworthy, so I don't wanna drop $2000 on an exhaust and have it pinged by some fool in a warrent shop. As long as the car is reasonable sounding they are ok though.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:45 PM
'RX-EIGHT'

Normal at idle
Barely noticeable at 5000rpm
Angry at 6000rpm
Ballistic at 9000rpm

daz1300 seems to have fallen in love with my HKS following monday night's meet.
He describes it as "ssssswwweeeeetttt" or something to that effect.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:50 PM
'RX-EIGHT'

Sorry, forgot to mention that its "deep" and "bassy" with a hint of metallic "raspiness".
Old 09-07-2004, 11:53 PM
DCD

Mmmmmm I'm falling in love with the description, that sounds PERFECT. I want somehting thats not gonna be intrusive, unless I want it to be, and that sounds like it was made just like that. Does it drone at all, when you are on the motorways etc? I drive a lot of motorway to work everyday so this is kinda important too.

Over here the exhaust testing is done something like unloaded at 3000rpm. So it should be pretty sweet with regard to the fuzz etc..
Old 09-08-2004, 12:00 AM
'RX-EIGHT'

No drone on the freeway whatsoever. at least inside the cabin that is.
Although you'll find yourself purposely dropping down gears to keep the revs up so you can enjoy the "twin-rotor symphony." LOL
Old 09-08-2004, 12:20 AM
sco
Registered

I had the pleasure of a ride in Hymee's car last week. His exhaust is very well behaved when you're taking it easy - it's barely louder than stock when you're light on the throttle and is hard to hear with the air conditioning going on full. When you open it up a bit, that's when it kicks in and it's a much "meatier" sound than stock - deeper and louder so you can hear what's going on - much more like what a sports car should sound like rather than the stock "vacuum cleaner on steroids" sound.

Sound files are here: https://www.rx8club.com/showpost.php...9&postcount=72
Old 09-08-2004, 12:23 AM

The Racing Beat exhaust is awesome (bolts straight on). But the fuel economy has degraded somewhat since I installed it cause to hear it is to give it ;-)
Old 09-08-2004, 12:42 AM
Ride It Like You Stole It

AMEN Z88M! I just didn't want to be the first to mention the Racing Beat Exhaust, but I agree with you totally on the fuel consumption issue.............to drive it hard is to hear it the way God intended it! (Add the Racing Beat Air Filter and Fly Wheel and hang on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) :D
Old 09-08-2004, 01:05 AM
'RX-EIGHT'

Emack,

You seem to have a fair few Racing Beat bits on your 8. Where'd you get them from?
Were they ordered directly from the States or have you got a supplier down under?
Old 09-08-2004, 02:10 AM
Ride It Like You Stole It

From RB direct in the States.
Old 09-08-2004, 03:17 AM
DCD

Yeah I have heard that a lot of members are happy with the Racing Beat, and various American manufactured products. However like I stated I would much prefer to get a JDM product as I have a guy that a know well, and have been a customer with for a long time. He deals primarily in JDM stuff, and I trust him and for issues with a product such as warrenty it is so much easier when there is someone you can talk to face to face, rather than trying to sort things out from NZ to america.
Old 09-08-2004, 05:08 AM
Shifty Bastard.

So I take it you decided against the M3....?!
Old 09-08-2004, 05:24 AM
DCD

Oh yeah the thing with the M3 fell through. I drove the car for a weekend, and the SMG wasn't really my thing. It was a wicked car and had it been manual I think I would have definatly gone for it. So I was undecided and then they magaged to find a dealership that would give them a halfway decent price for it.
So no M3 for me, but the RX is still a great car, I wasn't too worried to keep it in the end! Also I have been driving a station wagon recently so when I get into the RX its fantastic! And since I am keeping it, I think I will now keep it for a fair while and do a few things to it. There are no other "great deals" that I can see that can possibly come up, so I think its definatly time to put my mark on my car.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:29 AM

Sorry about the delay reply. Here it is ! sticky this Hymee
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

EDIT: Hymee
rated (a sweet 2.5), 100mm (according to Hymee)

Last edited by takahashi; 09-08-2004 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:00 AM
'RX-EIGHT'

Taka,

How's the scale meant to work?
Does 4 = loud and 1 = quiet?
If so, Hymee should be a 1 to 1.5 max since it's quieter than HKS which is rated at 2.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:30 AM

yes 1= quiet 4 = loud. Hmmm... I think HKS is underrated. It is certainly louder than mine (Fujitsubo)

They are the figure from HyperRev. I will get some dB value from another book. Hang on..
Old 09-08-2004, 08:43 AM

This is from the RX-8 Magazine

I should have listed this as it is more scienfic, with dB values

REPLACING THE TIP SIZES FROM PREVIOUS THREAD: 1st number dB during idling, 2nd number at 6750 rpm. NA= not available
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

EDIT: Anyone interested for a HyperRev magazine locally in Melbourne. Japan book plaza order them. A bit dear http://japanbookplaza.com.au/shop/pr...ducts_id/21983
But you can also order direct from them. www.news-pub.com. I order the RX-8 mag too from them

Last edited by takahashi; 09-08-2004 at 07:02 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Taka's exhaust comparisions