Notices
Series I Aftermarket Performance Modifications Discussion of power adding modifications

Mazdaspeed flywheel install with pics...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 09:44 PM
~~> Next 10 miles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My dealer quoted my $90 an hour, and 6 hours. I told him exactly what you said, and he said he was just padding it "Just in case."

They've never done it before (Stockton Mazda.) Anyone have an experience service department in NorCal, or even in the Bay Area? It would be worth the drive to me to get the piece of mind an experienced tech would give me.
Old 06-17-2004, 07:34 AM
6Spd Blue 230

cortc, do you think you could please let me have the correct Mazda part number for the Mazdaspeed lightened flywheel + counterweight so that I can run it past my local dealer here in the U.K. to see if he can get hold of it.
Thanks.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by tokenbrit
cortc, do you think you could please let me have the correct Mazda part number for the Mazdaspeed lightened flywheel + counterweight so that I can run it past my local dealer here in the U.K. to see if he can get hold of it.
Thanks.
http://www.japanparts.com/shop/shop....hird=Flywheels
Old 06-17-2004, 09:38 AM
6Spd Blue 230

Thanks Rob.

It's a shame I didn't know about this earlier. The costs are very reasonable...
Old 06-17-2004, 09:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by tokenbrit
Thanks Rob.

It's a shame I didn't know about this earlier. The costs are very reasonable...
Prehaps - there will be shipping and quite possibly import duty on top of that.

Was looking into it as I need some clutch work doing anyhow. But I'm not bothering for now.
Old 06-17-2004, 11:41 AM

You can get it here in the states for about 525.00, call Rosenthal on the vendor’s forum they usually stock them...

I will look up the part numbers and post, in the meantime I have posted them in the past; try a search...
Old 06-26-2004, 09:13 PM

Would there be any labor savings doing the flywheel change when they are doing the recall for the MT heat sheild?

My heat sheild was backordered, and perhaps a few hundred bucks could be saved doing it at the same time.
Old 06-26-2004, 09:16 PM

Spazm. My dealer quoted me 80 x 5. They said that was padding it.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:47 PM

Replacing a M/T heat shield doesn't shorten Flywheel install labor times enough to give you much of a discount, surely not $200 bucks worth. It would surprise me if it mattered at all. At most the only things shared would be putting the car on the lift and dropping the exhaust. Now if you can manage to grenade your clutch under warranty....LOL.

Vernon
Old 06-27-2004, 12:51 AM

My clutch went out early last week with only 2600 miles. After discussions with Mazda they are covering it under warranty and installing a lightweight flywheel (supplied by me) for no extra charge.

The dealers are examining broken clutches closely for abuse--therefore be careful.
Old 07-16-2004, 09:42 AM
6Spd Blue 230

My car went in for the Mazdaspeed flywheel to be installed at my local dealer 2 days ago after I managed to procure the parts from Japan a couple of weeks ago. We agreed I would pay hourly upto a maximum of 5hrs labour. I still don't have my car back . Apparently my main dealer doesn't have the correct tools to do the job (but they started it anyway). They are short a 54mm socket. And they are having trouble getting one!! And 2 weeks notice obviously wasn't enough time to get this in . Idiots. Anyway; a word of warning to all. Please make sure your dealer has one of these before they take your gearbox off!! Still, I'm looking forward to it being completed :D (but not the cost of the labour ). Living in the U.K. can be a pain sometimes...
Old 07-16-2004, 12:56 PM

i love it now how do i convince my dealer to install it
Old 07-16-2004, 01:51 PM
Boost needed

hey toeknbrit you've recieved the flywheel pretty quick, I've ordered mine for like two months now and still haven't arrived . Where did you ordered it from?
Old 07-16-2004, 02:35 PM
Gig 'em

Is it that tough of an install to do yourself? Doesn't it just involve taking off a few bolts and sliding the transmission back? Or is it more complicated than that?
Old 07-16-2004, 03:47 PM
6Spd Blue 230

IZoom-ZoomI, I ordered my Mazdaspeed flywheel from www.japanparts.com . It took less than a week to get to my door (but I am in the U.K.).

I have actually got my car back now. And I'm a little sorry to say that I hardly notice the difference at-all. The pictures of the flywheel are the same as that of CortC's. And according to the dealer the weight differences are minimal. I don't know if there is a different part fitted On U.S., and European models, But??...

Let's just hope that it's a case of restrictive exhaust not allowing the engine to rev up to speed as quickly as anticipated. I have a C.Z. Mid-P-4 on order, and I would like to think this will sort things out. Still; I can't stop myself thinking that I've just wasted a lot of money...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mazdaspeed flywheel install with pics...