Notices
Canada Forum For our friends up North, eh!

ROTARY MEET !!!! Kingston ON may 7th 2011

Old 01-11-2011, 12:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ROTARY MEET !!!! Kingston ON may 7th 2011

Hey guys, i am trying to put together a rotary meet here in Kingston On, I will try to get the local radio station to be there aswell. I will book the massive parking lot on the military base which can fit hundreds of cars. ( im military aswell ) Let me know if you are interested, I would like at least 100 names to get this going, and it will be held May 7th 2011... thanks for your time
Old 01-11-2011, 12:12 AM
Time for boost...

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
hmmm.... pending availability, I may be down!! I've been planning a road trip to Ottawa, anyways!
Old 01-11-2011, 05:47 AM
RIP Mx-3. Hello Rx-8!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah, your the one I was talking to last year in the canteen with your buddy that wanted a Caliber.

They'll probably be sending me to Pet when I come back to SQ, but if I can get the car out and with me by then, I'll be there. Still trying to figure out how I'm going to get 2 vehicles to Pet.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:58 AM

thats right buddy.. if you want in on it and help me out with it let me know, i need to get the permission first, and maybe make it charitable and have an option to donate to have your car there .. say like 5 bucks and give it to the united way, im sure if its a charitable thing i can get some local shops to show up aswell they can maybe include some deals, but i need at least 100 people.

Im even thinking about including other cars and just making it a car show.. that all depends on how many people are willing to come out.. hopefully its all rx8s , if not then i'll have to include more cars.

please start a list if you think you will be there.

update* ok this will be a car show for all makes and models.

1.( Robert ) Speed_8 06, sunlight silver

Last edited by Speed_8; 01-11-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:07 PM

for those who choose to come, who would be willing to donate 5 bucks a car to go to the united way? let me know

Last edited by Speed_8; 01-11-2011 at 08:53 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Speed_8
Hey guys, i am trying to put together a rotary meet here in Kingston On, I will try to get the local radio station to be there aswell. I will book the massive parking lot on the military base which can fit hundreds of cars. ( im military aswell ) Let me know if you are interested, I would like at least 100 names to get this going, and it will be held May 7th 2011... thanks for your time
I am marking the calendar for this date, hopefully it will be more than 2 RX8 ?
Old 01-13-2011, 10:10 PM

A rotary meet is certainly something that I would consider. I'm always game for a trip to historic Kingston.

I think the idea of supporting a charity is also a good one. I can't imagine anyone who can afford to drive RX-8 (hardly the most economical ride on the planet) begrudging the donation of a fiver to a good cause.

Perhaps I can up the ante by asking how many customized 8s plan to attend?
Old 01-13-2011, 10:46 PM

Im trying to get as many as possible, but so far not many takers, i am working with the local radio stations aswell and the newspapers so they come out and support it. PLus local motorsport shops to come out and show their stuff.. if all fails i'll add more makes and just separate them. Any ideas that you guys have throw it my way, still early in the making. I do not think 5 bucks is much there are no costs toward this show so all proceeds will go to them. the more we have the more we can get. There also maybe a professional photographer to take pictures of your rides that can be purchased which would also go to the united way. so group photos just your rides ect... at the end there will be a calendar of some of the rides there and the money made of that will also go to the united way. so all for a good cause.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:30 AM
My 8 looks like a Smurf

^ I'd recommend giving the proceeds to something meaningful locally like CHEO or Sick Kids instead of UW. Most of the money given to orgs like UW or CCF doesn't get to where it needs to be. If you're intent on a more global charity, I'll recommend either Red Cross or Doctors Without Borders.

My usual ranting aside, I'd be up for a trip to Kingston and I can probably get a few more people from Ottawa to come down with me.

Keep in mind it's still early for people to commit to something in May. You'll get more answers in late March/April.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:05 AM

Im in the military and its the charity that we use, ( also if i tell them its for the UW, they would not mind providing the faciliity for the show ) I just want to give people the heads up before hand, and it gives me an idea how many are interested. Please start a list with your name and continue it thanks

Last edited by Speed_8; 01-14-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The UW is everywhere. The entire federal government, all hospitals in Ontario... And yes, they waste a lot of money (know people "higher up" in UW that complain about the waste they see) so yeah, I share some of the feelings expressed about choosing them as a cause!

100 rotaries might be a bit ambitious though, so I'd set sights a little lower. Then you'll be surprised if you get more, but not disappointed if you get less (and won't risking disappointing whoever you got approval from)
Old 01-17-2011, 05:25 PM

Well I am open to suggestions on who the charity can be, UW is not who we have to donate to, but to get the space for the show I need a charity.. so let me know, I know 100 is excessive so i was considering just a regular car show so all makes and models can come. Im working on some booths to be there offering anything from discount on tires to motorsports, if there is something you guys want at the show please let me know and i will work on it.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:18 PM
My 8 looks like a Smurf

Well you have several suggestions already. Though if you want to turn this into a car show, you had better crank it up... it's a lot more work than it seems and, without being condescending, it doesn't sound like you know where to start.

You need to get sponsors, be organized to setup booths, activities, insurance, promotion, etc.

A meet is one thing but a car show is another. And I agree getting a ton of rotaries is going to be hard unless you promote the heck out of it. Either way I say pick a direction and get started 'cause you have a lot of work ahead of you if you want a car show...
Old 01-17-2011, 08:53 PM

No you are right, this is my first time going at it.. it will be a meet / car show if you know what I mean.. Im trying to get the booths i have sent out emails already made some calls ect.. I just do not want to make something and not have people show up, its why I want some confirmations before I go on with this, I have time right now and will work hard.. Some word of mouth would be appreciated as well and get people to get back to me. I appreciate any suggestions anyone may have. Im shooting for a bunch of cars, going to advertise in other forums, get free advertising through the radio promoting charitable donation, anywhere from 5 to 10 bucks to get in. I do not think its much. So again any opinions anyone has please let me know.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:08 PM
Spinnnnnnnnnnn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like a fun event. Don't forget to include rx7's, there's enough of them out there and they would be happy to take out their cars from the garage.
I am not a fan of UWay. I am very much with wolf on Médecins Sans Frontières, check it at www.msf.ca
I won't have anymore vacation days to make the trip but I will still make a donation for the event.
Good Luck.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:22 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm not going to go with the UW. However im going to go with a local charity as It would be easier to get advertisments ( theres a bike show once a year here that does that )
Old 01-18-2011, 08:11 AM
My 8 looks like a Smurf

I guarantee you that "if you make it they will come".

Promote the crap out of it and it'll fill up for sure. Just decide if you want a rotary show or not. If you think it's feasible, I like that idea as there's always tons of car shows but very few rotary shows, and rotary guys would be willing to drive for it. Kingston is a great spot since you get people from Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal, and Upstate NY.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:28 AM
Spinnnnnnnnnnn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also think it's a good area for a show. I've lived in the Deseronto area for a couple months when I was a teenager and I used to meet my family members from Cornwall Island in Kingston all the time.
Looking at the date again, isn't it still cold there that early? Windsor area is a bit warm at that time but from what I remember, doesn't it still snow in early may?
Old 01-18-2011, 09:30 AM

No, last mach there was no snow , small amount feel in april but gone in a few days , okay I will make out rotary, I'm sending out more emails today hoping to get some feed back, thanks again got the suggestions
Old 01-18-2011, 09:31 AM

Last time I post from my phone, lol can't even understand what I wrote and there's no edit button lol
Old 01-20-2011, 10:44 AM

You can select multiple charities as well. MSF, and how about a local animal shelter? There are tons of pet lovers everywhere. Or Greenpeace to show that although we love our cars and are killing the environment with them, we still care To make it local, I guess the Kingston General Hospital is another option. Their foundation would probably help promote the event as well if they are a named recipient for donations.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:47 AM
My 8 looks like a Smurf

I doubt that this is gonna be big enough to need multiple charities. I don't know about everyone else but 'd rather see a sizable donation to a single recipient than multiple meaningless ones.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:50 AM

It's about appealing to more people by increasing the number of causes. Take UW for example. I wouldn't go out of my way to go to something that supports them. Throw in the OSPCA as a second recipient, and then I'd consider it...

If you want help promoting the event though, then KGH foundation is probably your best bet.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:33 PM
My 8 looks like a Smurf

If you want to promote it in Kingston, then yes. Else, not so much.

At the end of the day you'll get a thousand conflicting opinions anyways. If you try to please everyone you'll never get anything off the ground. Just pick something, do it, and don't look back.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:24 PM

okay sounds good guys, appreciate the info.. people are taking awhile to respond to me. So I'm going to be a little more persistent. So be patient with me as im way new to this stuff but im going to try and make it happen

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ROTARY MEET !!!! Kingston ON may 7th 2011