Notices
RX-8 Discussion General discussion about the RX-8 that doesn't fit in one of the specialty forums.

RX-8 or STi ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 08:52 PM
THREAD KILLER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy RX-8 or STi ?

Damn it!!! I was already set on getting the RX-8 until I realized what a disappointment it was (for me) that the power is not even close to 200hp and gas mileage is like it's running V8 @ 400hp! Anyways, a thought flashed in while I was flying down to Newport beach from San Jose. Looking at the Salinas area's open grounds I thought about how great it would be to go offroading there. And then... the idea of getting Subaru WRX STi came to me.

Its not that offroading is the only reason to get the STi over the RX-8 but many more. Anyways, aside from the looks (i know RX-8 wins hands down) could you RX-8 fans and owners give me points why I should not get the STi over RX-8? Like say, engine probs, transmission probs, bad ride, etc etc...

The reason I want you to is because at the time I first wanted the RX-8, I was looking for reasons why I should not get it. And then I found them...

HELP
Old 10-17-2003, 08:55 PM

Looks alone are reason enough - those STis are fugly!
Old 10-17-2003, 08:58 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i can tell by your post you want the sub so there is no sense in trying to talk you out of it.
Old 10-17-2003, 09:57 PM

Your the guy that wants alot of power. So RX8 is obviously not your car or STi competitor. Totally different cars.
Old 10-17-2003, 10:38 PM

I was thinking about the STi or Evo at one point, but I've changed my mind (yet again). I think the RX-8 looks a whole lot better than either, both inside and out. In the end still have a lot in common with their cheaper econobox versions (like the dimensions of the car in and out, the interior, etc.). There are a lot of lancers trying to be evolutions, as well as imprezas trying to be sti's.

Whereas I think of the rx-8 as being well designed as a unit. You can see a logical sequence in its design. My favorite thing is that it's unique, redefining the definition of what definitive means (sorry, just had to say it ). The head-turning capability cannot be denied. You lose a certain amount of performance definitely, but you gain a sense of distinction as well as the satisfaction of having a well-designed vehicle.

If you want all-out performance, then you'll probably want the sti or evo. Still, I say you should just drive them all, and let the width of your grin decide
Old 10-18-2003, 02:18 AM
Ike
Blue By You

If you like the looks of the STi there are very few reasons to not get it, the engine is proven, the tranny is proven, and the overall performance is as well. For those saying it's no different than the Impreza interior you've obviously never seen one, there's very very little in common between a regular Impreza and an STi. It's going to be tough to find a testdrive though, goodluck with the decision.

Ike
Old 10-18-2003, 02:34 AM

Re: RX-8 or STi ?

Originally posted by Xyntax
Damn it!!! I was already set on getting the RX-8 until I realized what a disappointment it was (for me) that the power is not even close to 200hp and gas mileage is like it's running V8 @ 400hp!

Anyways, aside from the looks (i know RX-8 wins hands down) could you RX-8 fans and owners give me points why I should not get the STi over RX-8? Like say, engine probs, transmission probs, bad ride, etc etc...

The reason I want you to is because at the time I first wanted the RX-8, I was looking for reasons why I should not get it. And then I found them...

HELP
i too was on the fence about my 8. but i didn't want a performance sedan. i also didn't want to join the WRX crowd - not that there's anything wrong with them. there are definitely more wrx drivers than 8 drivers obviously. you could distinguish yourself in that crowd with the sti. the 8 appeals to me because of it's uniqueness and newness. the power was secondary. if you can get an STi GO FOR IT. (fully equipped and loaded it's the same price as an RX-8: $33K) it's a great vehicle but it doesn't have the same visceral appeal as the 8... in the end it's a sedan...
Old 10-18-2003, 02:45 AM
Ike
Blue By You

Re: Re: RX-8 or STi ?

Originally posted by jimbo_gixxer
i too was on the fence about my 8. but i didn't want a performance sedan. i also didn't want to join the WRX crowd - not that there's anything wrong with them. there are definitely more wrx drivers than 8 drivers obviously. you could distinguish yourself in that crowd with the sti. the 8 appeals to me because of it's uniqueness and newness. the power was secondary. if you can get an STi GO FOR IT. (fully equipped and loaded it's the same price as an RX-8: $33K) it's a great vehicle but it doesn't have the same visceral appeal as the 8... in the end it's a sedan...
You do realize Mazda is sending and hoping to sell 30k RX-8s every year in the US, which is about how many WRXs Subaru sells per year.
Old 10-18-2003, 03:43 AM

well, think about it this way, ITS ROTARY POWERED! That's why I'm getting mines. Rotary powered I'm getting the car, looks-wise it has the build that I want looking in a car----sorta resembles a well defined and cut person yet in a car's sense. The engine performance, I have yet to experience, but with all these talks about how bad it is and all, I don't really mind it as much, because to me, performance is a plus but rather getting looks all over the parking lot or just anywhere you go can do the job. Performance is just usually on the tracks and in races and such. I'm just saying that the RX-8 is a lovely car, that's why I"m getting one soon, and not to mention everything else. May I add, it's rotary!
Old 10-18-2003, 04:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I've got a unique perception towards this question since our project cars give us first hand experience with all 3 of the mentioned cars. The EVO and the STI anre both solid platforms with awsome power and grip. The best thing about the two is the amount of power you can make with bolt ons. And that they've been around long enough that parts are in abundace.
The RX8 is more of a refined driving experience that tingles the sences via it's very good road mannors. It has a 50/50 balance. This car was made for handling.

Either way, you win.
Old 10-18-2003, 04:34 AM
Banned

yeah it handles better than the STi and its only 0.5 seconds slower than the STi if you rev it up and dump the clutch. Plus the looks, interior and exterior. Test drive one and youll be hooked. STi is junk with a turbo. In three years theyll all be in the shop.
Old 10-18-2003, 04:39 AM
100% Italian

test drive buddy
Old 10-18-2003, 04:44 AM

Well my view from over the pond is that I have owned a UK spec STI for 16 months and I am trading for an RX-8 next month.

I love the STi, I have had zero problems with it, and when you are in the mood it is a great car to drive with lots of presence and can outperform 99% of others on the road.

On the downside when Im not in the mood, I find the ride too hard and bouncy, the interior poor quality, the stereo awful, and the powerband is not ideally suited for just cruising around. Also over here, Impreza's have a increasingly boy racer/idiot driver image which I dont like.

I know I will miss it at times, but I am really looking forward to the RX-8. It is a unique car, with gorgeous looks, a unique rotary engine, suicide doors, excellent handling and a much better ride than my STi which will make it more comfortable on long journeys. Also the interior is a very nice place to be, and the spec of the car over here is very high.

All in all two very good, but very different cars, and it is really down to you to decide what it is you want.

Mark
Old 10-18-2003, 07:21 AM
Back in the family

Exactly, MarkW.

I bypassed my choice of color on a new STi for the Mazda. The STi interior, while a *tiny* step up from a WRX interior, is still low rent. Oh forgive me, the cheesy 2 tone plastic treatment on the wheel is "classy." :p

In addition, the Subaru has lost its "cult" following in the US and as a result the quality of Subaru enthusiasts has dropped to the level of Altezza lights and LED's. Thats a crying freakin' shame.

I also tihnk that the new "4 door only" STi happens to be the ugliest STi that Subaru has made. It looks llike a Nissan Sentra with a wings west combat kit or some other bodykit aberration.

I drove both, and made my choice. Don't regret it at all, even when I see the 2 STi's at work.
Faster != better
Old 10-18-2003, 07:24 AM

On the downside when Im not in the mood, I find the ride too hard and bouncy, the interior poor quality, the stereo awful, and the powerband is not ideally suited for just cruising around. Also over here, Impreza's have a increasingly boy racer/idiot driver image which I dont like.
Like Mark W said above...

Another issue is different than what some are saying here. According to the SAME website that issued such high marks to the RX 8 (saw it from this forum) if you look down the page to the bottom Subaru claims on trouble are soaring due to Imprezza problems.

My dad told me about the stories of the high compression engines and mods and how the life of the engine is short-lived (great while it lasts) but they just CANT hold up no matter who build's em. Both Mitsu and the WRX cars really bother me as new car purchases but again that is opnly my opinion and others think they are great. I disagree with the statements that the tranny is proven and the engine is proven, etc because the warranty claims are through the roof. That is a problem - unless the data is incorrect on the site, I wouldn't touch one. For all out performance (acceleration) there is no substitute for cubic inches. That is an old adage I know but it has held true. If ALL you want is top end and acceleration potential, cubic inches is the way to go. The advantage to cars like the RX is handling. Acceleration is acceptable but muscle cars exceed it - if that is what you want. I am old enough to remember the 300ZX twin turbo and how HOT that car was until some age got on it and then oh boy getting rid of them was a challenge. Also, turbo 4 cyl. thunderbirds, mods made to 3rd gens for reliability, etc etc etc.
Old 10-18-2003, 08:39 AM
Pro Audentius

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rodster is spot-on with the survey article -- I remember that one, too. Also spot-on regarding choices you make WRT your objectives. From my own experience, I relate it to the last car purchase I made -- ten years ago, when I selected a Probe GT over a Camaro. I wanted a car that could perform optimally and provide a great driving experience throguhout a wide range of situations. 180K and ten years later, the PGT is still a great driver. Camaros and Stangs are fast, but that's all -- I've not been able to see much more personality there... They kinda bore me. It occurs to me that the STi would be too strictly aligned for performance than I would tolerate for more than, say, a few months -- then I'd probably get bored...
Old 10-18-2003, 11:21 AM

ok - another two cents...

i thought about the 80/20 rule:

do you plan on driving the STi to it's full potential most of the time? probably not. in that case, does the STi provide enough comfort and ease of use in your 80% of your driving activities? the 8 does this really well! outstanding fit and finish in the interior. the sTi has a MEDIOCRE interior. at $33K i'd be happier in a Lex IS300 or BMW. the sti dash and steering wheel look cheap. the 8 has a dual road personality - keep it below 4-5K rpms and this is a really nice cruising car. rev it up and it's an acceptable performer. the sTI wins in off the line and in acceleration and probably many other categories of performance. in the end, define what you really want in the car. For $33K, there are other choices beyond the STI for pure performance.

so now i'm scheduling a test ride on an sTi at a local dealer just to compare. i hope i don't get the run around...
Old 10-18-2003, 03:06 PM
Ike
Blue By You

Originally posted by RodsterinFL
Like Mark W said above...

Another issue is different than what some are saying here. According to the SAME website that issued such high marks to the RX 8 (saw it from this forum) if you look down the page to the bottom Subaru claims on trouble are soaring due to Imprezza problems.

My dad told me about the stories of the high compression engines and mods and how the life of the engine is short-lived (great while it lasts) but they just CANT hold up no matter who build's em. Both Mitsu and the WRX cars really bother me as new car purchases but again that is opnly my opinion and others think they are great. I disagree with the statements that the tranny is proven and the engine is proven, etc because the warranty claims are through the roof. That is a problem - unless the data is incorrect on the site, I wouldn't touch one. For all out performance (acceleration) there is no substitute for cubic inches. That is an old adage I know but it has held true. If ALL you want is top end and acceleration potential, cubic inches is the way to go. The advantage to cars like the RX is handling. Acceleration is acceptable but muscle cars exceed it - if that is what you want. I am old enough to remember the 300ZX twin turbo and how HOT that car was until some age got on it and then oh boy getting rid of them was a challenge. Also, turbo 4 cyl. thunderbirds, mods made to 3rd gens for reliability, etc etc etc.

The boxer engines are very strong and the tranny problem was with mostly the 02 WRXs, the STi has a totally different tranny and is much much stronger. You are also basing this on an article put out by an insurance company in the UK, look at consumer reports and Subaru reliability is almost on par with Honda in many cases. As for the 300Z TT comment, those cars hold their value very very well, and are hard to find, not hard to get rid of.

Mark, I believe there have been some suspension tweaks to the STi to make the ride a little less harsh here in the states, and we also get a higher displacement engine. The STi here also come with no stereo, which some people critisize, but I would much rather put my own in the car rather than pay a premium for a for a mediocre factory unit, which almost every car on the planet has. Though I agree it will still be a little more rough than an RX-8 on the daily drive.

Vivid, as far as I know you only have regular WRXs and does not have an STi as a project car.

Russell, the STi is about a 1.5 secs faster 0-60 than the RX-8 (pre-production) and about 1.5 faster in the 1/4 mile, more if you consider no one has been able to get the Mag numbers on the post production cars. The STi will also destroy a RX-8 around a real race track and on twisty less than perfect backroads. If you look at the old best motoring video that people were getting all upset about, it was a regular WRX that beat the RX-8 around the track handily, not the STi.

You also have no clue about what kind of reliability the STi will have compared the the RX-8. If you go by past history alone Subaru makes more reliable cars than Mazda does. I fully admit the WRX has had problems with theb tranny, however the STi tranny shares nothing in common with the WRX tranny. The oxer engine has a proven track record, the rotary has proven to have problems in the past. Whether or not the renesis will be different only time will tell, and speculation means nothing.

Jimbo, goodluck with the testdrive, they seem to be hard to come by. You always see these people talk about how they've driven an STi, but most of it is not true since it's very very rare that a dealer will have a demo STi since it's such limited production.

Ike
Old 10-18-2003, 04:04 PM
Back in the family

It's easy to get a "test drive" when your old man has 2 of 'em and your best friend has one as well..

That said, there is nothing wrong with the 6speed Subaru transmission. Actually, there was nothing wrong with their 5speed either; some drag racing squids were just pissed because it couldn't withstand constant clutch dump abuse. Dumbasses don't understand how to drive properly and blame the equipment!

I think the Subaru platform is awesome, but I loathe sedans... and after owning the RX8 I prefer the feel and power delivery of the rotary. However, if you are that hung up on ultimate power output then by all means get something with a turbocharger..
Old 10-18-2003, 04:40 PM
Banned

or still get the rx-8 and turbo charge it later. rx-8+turbo = better than STi in every possible way.
Old 10-18-2003, 05:15 PM
Ike
Blue By You

Originally posted by RussellP
or still get the rx-8 and turbo charge it later. rx-8+turbo = better than STi in every possible way.

Several thousand dollars later, with no warranty and a engine that has a history of going boom when subjected to FI. Oh and no AWD to help get the power down, and then the STi can spend under 1k in mods and still be faster than you if it isn't already in stock form.

Ike
Old 10-18-2003, 05:25 PM
Banned

theres only so many mods left for the STi. RX-8 is a blank canvas.
Old 10-18-2003, 05:26 PM
R32

Can't we just combined the STi and Rx-8 to make a hell of a car?

I agree that both cars offer different driving experiences. The Rx-8 offers some refinement, 9k redlines, and great near-neutral like handling.

The STi, I can imagine, is more like a rally car/German touring race car. More visceral acceleration, stiff ride, great handling with AWD.

Honestly, it boils down to whatever floats your boat.

Though there is a difference between the Golf R32 and STi, they are both AWD platforms with strong torque and similar weight. Try reading the article on this link:

https://www.rx8club.com/showthread.p...threadid=10561
Old 10-18-2003, 05:40 PM
Senior Member :D

Ask yourself what is more important. Both bad *** cars. The sti will never look as good as the 8. The 8's interior also has the sti beat. On the other hand, the sti greatly out powers the 8. If the power is more important, than go with the sti. The only thing the car really offers is power/handling. Styling, lasting appeal etc..was not thought of when this car was designed.
Old 10-18-2003, 05:55 PM
Ike
Blue By You

Originally posted by RussellP
theres only so many mods left for the STi. RX-8 is a blank canvas.

You know nothing about modding cars, nor anything about modded Subarus. Get back to me when a modded RX-8 with a renesis runs 9s and we'll talk.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: RX-8 or STi ?