Notices

Gauges?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 06:02 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Gauges?

So now that it's looking like I (and many of us, I suspect) will need a boost gauge soon :D , I'd like to find one that matches the RX-8's dash perfectly in both white and red lighting modes. The Defi (?) gauge Philodox got is a perfect match for the white dash phase, but doesn't turn red with the night lighting. Anyone know if Defi (or whoever) makes gauges that have both white and red lighting? Please provide links if you do. Thanks!
Old 01-15-2005, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick question to your question, are you going third party or are you waiting to see if Mazda releases a Turbo at the '05 Tokyo Auto Show? If so have you read or found out anything to more or less cement the possibility of it coming out?
Old 01-16-2005, 12:13 AM
Registered

I'll most likely be going 3rd party. The Hymee S/C is looking good, as are they all. :D Have yet to hear anything concrete about Mazda coming out with one - although if they did, it would be hard to turn down. I'd reeeeeeeeally like to keep my warranty.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:30 AM
Metatron

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Defi D-Gauge.......

The BF and Defi-Link series' are either White or Amber, your choice, but they stay that way all the time, I think the ones that would would look best are the 'D-Gauge' series from Defi. This is a series made for the US only, and only available in the slightly smaller 52mm (2 1/16") size.

In daylight, they are an EXACT match, (it's rumoured that Mazda based the '8 gauges on the Defi color scheme.) At night, the D series turns amber, pointer stays red.

If my dyslexia isn't too bad today, there should be pics below........

S
Attached Thumbnails Gauges?-daydefi.jpg   Gauges?-nightdefi.jpg  

Last edited by StealthTL; 01-16-2005 at 03:13 AM.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:46 AM

Aren't the D-Gauges mechanical gauges? I don't think they have all of the cool fancy features of the D-Link series, although I could have misinterpreted their marketing-speak.

jds
Old 01-16-2005, 11:46 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by StealthTL
The BF and Defi-Link series' are either White or Amber, your choice, but they stay that way all the time, I think the ones that would would look best are the 'D-Gauge' series from Defi. This is a series made for the US only, and only available in the slightly smaller 52mm (2 1/16") size.

In daylight, they are an EXACT match, (it's rumoured that Mazda based the '8 gauges on the Defi color scheme.) At night, the D series turns amber, pointer stays red.

If my dyslexia isn't too bad today, there should be pics below........

S
Well now that's helpful, and the closest I've heard so far. I wonder if I could take 'em apart and replace the amber illuminating LEDs with red ones... hmmmm.....
Old 01-16-2005, 11:54 AM
Is this title ok?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
New AutoMeters Nexus? http://hp.autometer.com/products/nexus/index.html probably cost more than the Defi
Old 01-16-2005, 12:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by seikx8
New AutoMeters Nexus? http://hp.autometer.com/products/nexus/index.html probably cost more than the Defi
Ooh, those are SLICK!!! Hafta look into those more when the time comes. Thanks! :D
Old 01-16-2005, 01:07 PM
Riot Controller

this is what I'd like to do, the custom color matched LED's mounted nicely in a circle inside the tach. it takes alot of soldering *****..but it's way cooler and looks better than any gauge.

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec42.shtml

something about having a 20psi gauge that only goes up to 7psi makes me....feel like less of a man :P
Old 01-16-2005, 01:24 PM
Bigus Rotus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SlAoTkAiN
...are you waiting to see if Mazda releases a Turbo at the '05 Tokyo Auto Show?...
Do you mean this rumor: http://rotarynews.com/node/view/381

Omicron, what about that 2-Gauge Pod that fits the ashtray, is it still available? The RMagic 2 Gauge Ashtry Panel that requires your stock ashtray. Whatever gauges you eventually find, can they be installed in this pod? Or does the R-Magic pod come with gauges? I too am interested in your question.
Old 01-16-2005, 01:46 PM
Rangers Lead The Way!

I love the Defi BF series gauges, those Auto Meter ones someone mentioned earlier are HOT too! However, I only keep my dash 'white' all the time, day or night. So the Defi BF series in White are my choice. They are fully programmable as well, you can record up to 3 minutes worth of readings and playback at will. Also, you can set programmable warning points so you know when you are exceeding spec. The Defi Gauges are top notch, those Auto Meter look pretty good as well. However, I think the Auto Meter ones will cost a 'tad' bit more than the Defi BF series.
Old 01-16-2005, 04:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by epitrochoid
this is what I'd like to do, the custom color matched LED's mounted nicely in a circle inside the tach. it takes alot of soldering *****..but it's way cooler and looks better than any gauge.

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec42.shtml

something about having a 20psi gauge that only goes up to 7psi makes me....feel like less of a man :P
That is VERY cool... hafta think about that a bit.
Old 01-16-2005, 04:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Nemesis8
Do you mean this rumor: http://rotarynews.com/node/view/381

Omicron, what about that 2-Gauge Pod that fits the ashtray, is it still available? The RMagic 2 Gauge Ashtry Panel that requires your stock ashtray. Whatever gauges you eventually find, can they be installed in this pod? Or does the R-Magic pod come with gauges? I too am interested in your question.
I was thinking more along the lines of the RMagic 3 gauge pod that sits where the Nav screen does in cars that have it. I've heard that ProTech and others are working on a less expensive version of the pod (RMagic's is like $500! ) and if that doesn't work out then I may move down to the ash tray location or up to the sunglass holder-vicinity location. We'll see.

I'll be looking into alternate style gauges too, such as digital ones and may consider lining up three 1 inch diameter (or smaller, if I can find 'em) gauges along the top of the steering wheel column. Dunno.
Old 01-16-2005, 04:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by philodox
I love the Defi BF series gauges, those Auto Meter ones someone mentioned earlier are HOT too! However, I only keep my dash 'white' all the time, day or night. So the Defi BF series in White are my choice. They are fully programmable as well, you can record up to 3 minutes worth of readings and playback at will. Also, you can set programmable warning points so you know when you are exceeding spec. The Defi Gauges are top notch, those Auto Meter look pretty good as well. However, I think the Auto Meter ones will cost a 'tad' bit more than the Defi BF series.
I **LOVE** the Defi gauges, and they would be my first and immediate choice if they had white/red lighting. How much did you pay for yours again Jon?
Old 01-16-2005, 04:15 PM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Originally Posted by Omicron
I was thinking more along the lines of the RMagic 3 gauge pod that sits where the Nav screen does in cars that have it. I've heard that PTP and others are working on a less expensive version of the pod (RMagic's is like $500! )
I am trying to convince PTP to sell me one of their prototype 3 gauge pods for the center dash that's similar to the RMagic one. I think PTP will release their gauge pod in about a month or so. They designed theirs for the Defi BF Series 60mm gauges .

I **LOVE** the Defi gauges, and they would be my first and immediate choice if they had white/red lighting. How much did you pay for yours again Jon?
$224 for the boost gauge and $103 for the control unit. Got them with free shipping from Hopup Racing.
Old 01-16-2005, 04:52 PM
Registered

Perfect, thanks Jon! Any idea on what PTP is going to sell their pod for?
Old 01-16-2005, 04:56 PM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Perfect, thanks Jon! Any idea on what PTP is going to sell their pod for?
No idea.. hopefuly not more than like $250 or so.. If I can't find one for less than that I'll probably experiment and make my own. It'll be my first try at playing with fiberglass Unless I can find that liquid nylon stuff, then I'ld use that since I could texture it as well to match the dash

**EDIT** Here is what the PTP Gauge Cluster Looks like **EDIT**

Last edited by philodox; 01-16-2005 at 05:03 PM.
Old 01-16-2005, 04:59 PM
Attracts tree branches

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ooh, those are SLICK!!! Hafta look into those more when the time comes. Thanks! :D
those are dang slick...I will look into those

repost of link:

http://hp.autometer.com/products/nexus/index.html
Old 01-16-2005, 07:38 PM
Registered

No idea.. hopefuly not more than like $250 or so.. If I can't find one for less than that I'll probably experiment and make my own. It'll be my first try at playing with fiberglass Unless I can find that liquid nylon stuff, then I'ld use that since I could texture it as well to match the dash

**EDIT** Here is what the PTP Gauge Cluster Looks like **EDIT**

Oooohhhhh.... aaaaaahhhhhhhh..... drool........ :D
Old 01-16-2005, 07:58 PM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Oooohhhhh.... aaaaaahhhhhhhh..... drool........ :D
they're nice aren't they? the finish of that pod is the same as the "black gloss marble" finish on the radio console part.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:24 PM
Registered

Well, not that crazy about "black gloss marble" as I'd prefer the OEM dash finish... but I'm sure I could figure out a way around that.

Damn man, every time I look at those pics above it gets my heart pumpin... ! :D
Old 01-16-2005, 08:28 PM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Well, not that crazy about "black gloss marble" as I'd prefer the OEM dash finish... but I'm sure I could figure out a way around that.

Damn man, every time I look at those pics above it gets my heart pumpin... ! :D
Well, when I called them the other day they said they would offer them to match the top of the dash as well.. I was just pointing out what the finish of the gauge in the pictures is.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:10 PM
Attracts tree branches

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, when I called them the other day they said they would offer them to match the top of the dash as well.. I was just pointing out what the finish of the gauge in the pictures is.
here is one instance where I wish I didn't have the NAV...but maybe I can makeup for it with digital gauges
Old 01-17-2005, 04:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i found this it may help out http://www.rmagic.net/index2.html go to the Exhaust Parts / Computer Tuning center of the page
Old 01-17-2005, 06:24 PM
no more 8

oh i can't wait to add guages to my interior...i think i will try the DEFI guages. just something about them that is so clean and just seems to go with the car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Gauges?