You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access
to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join RX8Club.com today!
Ovens and microwaves work in completely different ways. One uses an element (oven) to heat whatever is inside, while the other one causes water molecules to generate heat through atomic motion.
This was a very bad idea as you have less control over the way the headlights were heated. The smoke was either from the plastic itself, or whatever water molecules were in the silicone, that bonded the two pieces. Not to mention any aluminum clips that were left on.
Secondly, 10 minutes in the oven @ 200F isn't much too long at all especially when dealing with $500+ items
you do know metal causes sparks which overheat surrounding material.
you probably have messed up the bulbs and wiring if too long. also the reflective lens might have spots on them too due to arcing.
__________________ 2008 VW / Jetta Wolfsburg 2.0T / Reflex Silver Metallic Clearcoat. Current.
2009 Mazda / RX-8 R3 (FE17) / Aurora Electric Blue Mica. Traded
2001 Toyota / Corolla CE (E114) / Sandrift Metallic. Totalled - Not at Fault.
"My happiness can be measured by my odometer."
the first time i read this i thought it was a joke. it had to be. what on earth are you going to college for? i knew how a microwave worked in like middle school. and when youre 4 you learn not to put forks and **** in there. why would a head lamp be any different?
microwave oven uses microwave to rotate the molecules in water and fat to produce heat. you headlight contains non of those. however the smoke you see is the metal parts absorbing the microwave causing current which heats up themselves.
a heating oven uses heating elements which dissipate heat. the heat then absorbed by food, in which case you headlight.
Simply put, your headlamp is ruined. Easiest fix is to get a completely different one, either used or new. Possibly cheaper fix would be to take it apart and start replacing electronic parts. Wires, LED's, etc., all have metal in them. They preferentially absorb microwaves, and heat up, so all the electronic components in your headlamp are now fried.
Next time, no microwave. Microwaves will not work. Don't use a microwave. Use an oven or a heat gun. If there is any sort of lab in your college, there's a chance they have a heat gun and may let you borrow it. If not, the best option is probably a small butane torch from Radio shack, etc.
For everyone else, college doesn't necessarily mean a technical degree.
Originally Posted by PHXYJ
Okay, so I think that the reason it blew was because I used the high power setting. Maybe if I use the lower power settings next time?