You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access
to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join RX8Club.com today!
Have had several requests on how to hook up the rear fog lamp. I'll try to go over it here.
First, it's a red lamp that fits in the rotor shaped hole in the centre of the rear bumper. The lamp has one filiment (glass flange style plug in bulb, like a running light).
We sell the lamp assy separate from the wiring harness.
The complete kit (wiring harness, switch, etc.) would be illegal to use in North America (might be ok in Mexico). One red light in the rear is not ok. It's also not fun to install.
There are two switches available, the one for the DSC equipped cars and the one for non-DSC cars. Reason is they use the DSC switch location for the rear fog lamp switch, so the DSC fog lamp switch is a double switch that fits in the DSC location (two half oval buttons in place of the standard one oval button). This could be used for other things, if you are looking for a trick switch to add for something, while keeping your setup stock appearing.
We sell both style switches separately.
This is not legal advice, but I think it's ok if the lamp is wired to the brake lights and/or running lights.
To wire to both (so it works with the brake lights in the daytime and the running lights at night) use two diodes - 1N4002, one each from the running light wire and the brake wire. This would require no switches. Diodes would be wired with the cathodes joined together at the lamp, the other end of one diode to the running light wire and the other to the brake light wire. Other side of the lamp goes to ground (chassis).
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members. Register your free account today and become a member on RX8Club.com!
The Complete Fog Kit is almost legal for California. Our code says:
24602. (a) Any vehicle may be equipped with not more than two red fog taillamps mounted on the rear which may be lighted, in addition to the required taillamps, only when atmospheric conditions, such as fog, rain, snow, smoke, or dust, reduce the daytime or nighttime visibility of other vehicles to less than 500 feet.
(b) Such lamps shall be installed as follows:
(1) When two lamps are installed, one shall be mounted at the left side and one at the right side at the same level and as close as practical to the sides. When one lamp is installed, it shall be as close as practical to the left side.
(2) The lamps shall be mounted not lower than 15 inches nor higher than 60 inches.
(3) The edge of the lens of the lamp shall be no closer than four inches from the edge of the lens of any stoplamp.
(4) The lamps shall be wired so they can be turned on only when the headlamps are on and shall have a switch that allows them to be turned off when the headlamps are on.
(5) A nonflashing amber pilot light which is lighted when the lamps are turned on shall be mounted in a location readily visible to the driver
That being said the complete Fog kit harness does not fit US spec 8s. However, with a little stripping and spicing it can be made to work.