RX8Club.com
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read RX8 Live!VendorsUsed Cars TSB & Recalls

Go Back   RX8Club.com > General Topics > RX-8 Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to RX8Club.com!
Welcome to RX8Club.com,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join RX8Club.com today!


Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-21-2005, 04:21 PM   #1
The anti-ricer
 
Transam kid 01's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (1)
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hillsdale, NJ
Posts: 1,879
Send a message via AIM to Transam kid 01
Whats wrong with my brakes?

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

What the hell is wrong with my brakes....i thought that part wasnt supposed to rust, not on an 04...
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on RX8Club.com!
Transam kid 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 04:32 PM   #2
脾臓が痛みました
 
Glyphon's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (0)
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Land of Peaches, Pecans, and Peanuts
Posts: 1,535
nah, that's a part that rusts on just about every single car ever produced (not just rx8s), unless it has a clear coat or is painted.

you can either see if you can get your dealer to paint it for you (some will) or paint it your self.
Glyphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 04:37 PM   #3
The anti-ricer
 
Transam kid 01's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (1)
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hillsdale, NJ
Posts: 1,879
Send a message via AIM to Transam kid 01
what kind of paint do i need to get, and how much is that gunna cost me
Transam kid 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 04:41 PM   #4
脾臓が痛みました
 
Glyphon's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (0)
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Land of Peaches, Pecans, and Peanuts
Posts: 1,535
you can either get a high temperature brake paint kit like G2(~$35) or you can get some high temperature engine or grill paint ($3/can). make sure you clean really well, and if you are going to spraypaint it, mask it off really well.

the brake paints (like G2) say not to drive the car for 24 hours after applying the paint. the G2 kit comes with basically everything you will need. with the spraypaint cans you can either mask the hell out of the car to make sure there is no overspray issues, or you can spray some paint into a bowl or something and apply it with a brush.

on a previous car, i used a black glossy grill paint to paint my rotor hubs and calipers. i basically waited an hour for them to dry. lasted 3 years without fading or crackign/chipping.

Last edited by Glyphon; 11-21-2005 at 04:44 PM.
Glyphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 04:47 PM   #5
The anti-ricer
 
Transam kid 01's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (1)
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hillsdale, NJ
Posts: 1,879
Send a message via AIM to Transam kid 01
hmm...sounds pretty sweet, i would need to take the brake off if i spray it though, right?
Transam kid 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 04:55 PM   #6
脾臓が痛みました
 
Glyphon's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (0)
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Land of Peaches, Pecans, and Peanuts
Posts: 1,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transam kid 01
hmm...sounds pretty sweet, i would need to take the brake off if i spray it though, right?
to paint the rotor hub, you might not need to take the caliper off, but i can't say for sure. i haven't painted my brakes on the rx8 yet, and i haven't paid that much attention to it. also, you might be able to paint the front side of the caliper without taking it off.

that said, you'll most likely be able to do a more thorough job and most likely have better results if you take the caliper off. but if you don't know what you're doing, brakes is a bad area to screw up on
Glyphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 04:58 PM   #7
The anti-ricer
 
Transam kid 01's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (1)
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hillsdale, NJ
Posts: 1,879
Send a message via AIM to Transam kid 01
my brother and i always worked on his t/a, and we also installed the brakes on it, so we should be able to
Transam kid 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 04:59 PM   #8
The anti-ricer
 
Transam kid 01's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (1)
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hillsdale, NJ
Posts: 1,879
Send a message via AIM to Transam kid 01
...i hope
Transam kid 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 05:17 PM   #9
Compression Tester Man
 
Go48's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (0)
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Mont Alto, PA
Posts: 2,580
Here's what your rotors should look like. These were painted with the G2 high-temp caliper paint, but you can use any high-temp paint. To paint the rotors you will probably have to at least swing the calipers out of the way. Make sure you sand the rusted areas to get the rust off before painting. You might want to paint the calipers while you're at it. There's a DIY thread on that in th DIY section of the forum.
Attached Thumbnails
Whats wrong with my brakes?-rotorpaint1-jpg   Whats wrong with my brakes?-rotorpaint2-jpg  
Go48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 05:28 PM   #10
May Cause Anal Leakage
 
tiggerlee's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (0)
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Orlando & Chicago
Posts: 3,084
Send a message via AIM to tiggerlee Send a message via Yahoo to tiggerlee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transam kid
What the hell is wrong with my brakes....i thought that part wasnt supposed to rust, not on an 04...


Didn't you just buy this car a few weeks ago? If your car's still under warranty do what I did. Bitch bitch bitch at the dealer until they paint them under warranty. Took me awhile but got them to do it. The worst that could happen is they say no. Still worth trying though.
__________________





tiggerlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 05:32 PM   #11
The anti-ricer
 
Transam kid 01's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (1)
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hillsdale, NJ
Posts: 1,879
Send a message via AIM to Transam kid 01
hmmm....not a bad idea actually....maybe i can get them to fix my scratch too!
Transam kid 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 05:35 PM   #12
Cool-Blue-Dad
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggerlee
Didn't you just buy this car a few weeks ago? If your car's still under warranty do what I did. Bitch bitch bitch at the dealer until they paint them under warranty. Took me awhile but got them to do it. The worst that could happen is they say no. Still worth trying though.
My dealer took care of it frist time with no foot-dragging at all. I told them over the phone the rotors were rusting badly in the non-contact area and I'd heard there was a Technical Service Bulliten for that. They sand-blasted them and painted them for me all under warrenty.

Being rusty they looked awful and attracted all the wrong kind of attention from my jealous co-workers. Once painted they looked awesome. Such a beautiful car all around.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 06:04 PM   #13
May Cause Anal Leakage
 
tiggerlee's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (0)
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Orlando & Chicago
Posts: 3,084
Send a message via AIM to tiggerlee Send a message via Yahoo to tiggerlee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool-Blue-Dad
My dealer took care of it frist time with no foot-dragging at all. I told them over the phone the rotors were rusting badly in the non-contact area and I'd heard there was a Technical Service Bulliten for that. They sand-blasted them and painted them for me all under warrenty.

Being rusty they looked awful and attracted all the wrong kind of attention from my jealous co-workers. Once painted they looked awesome. Such a beautiful car all around.

Cool! Yeah I was dealing with a fairly new Service Manager so he was apprehensive at first. But when I persisted they finally painted them.
__________________





tiggerlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 07:27 PM   #14
Registered User
 
Trader Score: (0)
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 103
Just do a search on here. Snap-On posted the Mazda info that makes the dealer have to paint them for you. It is NOT a TSB, but if you take that info in, no problem to get them painted.

Your dealer will have to dig for this one. It is NOT a TSB. Have them do a ESI search with 2004/RX8/Brakes. It will post as an "MRI" (mazda repair information)

Mazda Repair Information

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RUST ON BRAKE ROTOR HUBS
Applicable Models
Model Starting S/N Ending S/N
2001 PROTEGE 00000000 ZZZZZZZZ
2002 PROTEGE 00000000 ZZZZZZZZ
2003 PROTEGE 00000000 ZZZZZZZZ
2004 RX8 00000000 ZZZZZZZZ
1999 MIATA 00000000 ZZZZZZZZ
2000 MIATA 00000000 ZZZZZZZZ
2001 MIATA 00000000 ZZZZZZZZ
2002 MIATA 00000000 ZZZZZZZZ
2003 MIATA 00000000 ZZZZZZZZ
2004 MIATA 00000000 ZZZZZZZZ
1999 MILLENIA 00000000 ZZZZZZZZ
2000 MILLENIA 00000000 ZZZZZZZZ
2001 MILLENIA 00000000 ZZZZZZZZ
2002 MILLENIA 00000000 ZZZZZZZZ
2003 MILLENIA 00000000 ZZZZZZZZ

0003559 Dealer Repair Information
Rust can be seen on the brake rotor hub area when looking between the wheel spokes. The rust is most visible on vehicles equipped with 17" chrome wheels. 1. Remove rust from hub(s) by sanding. 2. Clean/prep hub surface for primer. 3. Mask off brake rotor area. 4. Apply primer around entire hub area. 5. Once primer dries, apply a heat type silver paint to the affected area to repair the vehicle. Note: Replace the rotor(s) only if the affected area cannot be repaired enough to satisfy the customer.


Linky: Mazda will Paint my New RX8's Rusted Rotors

Last edited by BoilerX8; 11-21-2005 at 07:32 PM.
BoilerX8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 07:58 PM   #15
The anti-ricer
 
Transam kid 01's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (1)
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hillsdale, NJ
Posts: 1,879
Send a message via AIM to Transam kid 01
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerX8
Just do a search on here. Snap-On posted the Mazda info that makes the dealer have to paint them for you. It is NOT a TSB, but if you take that info in, no problem to get them painted.

Your dealer will have to dig for this one. It is NOT a TSB. Have them do a ESI search with 2004/RX8/Brakes. It will post as an "MRI" (mazda repair information)

Mazda Repair Information

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RUST ON BRAKE ROTOR HUBS
Applicable Models
Model Starting S/N Ending S/N
2001 PROTEGE 00000000 ZZZZZZZZ
2002 PROTEGE 00000000 ZZZZZZZZ
2003 PROTEGE 00000000 ZZZZZZZZ
2004 RX8 00000000 ZZZZZZZZ
1999 MIATA 00000000 ZZZZZZZZ
2000 MIATA 00000000 ZZZZZZZZ
2001 MIATA 00000000 ZZZZZZZZ
2002 MIATA 00000000 ZZZZZZZZ
2003 MIATA 00000000 ZZZZZZZZ
2004 MIATA 00000000 ZZZZZZZZ
1999 MILLENIA 00000000 ZZZZZZZZ
2000 MILLENIA 00000000 ZZZZZZZZ
2001 MILLENIA 00000000 ZZZZZZZZ
2002 MILLENIA 00000000 ZZZZZZZZ
2003 MILLENIA 00000000 ZZZZZZZZ

0003559 Dealer Repair Information
Rust can be seen on the brake rotor hub area when looking between the wheel spokes. The rust is most visible on vehicles equipped with 17" chrome wheels. 1. Remove rust from hub(s) by sanding. 2. Clean/prep hub surface for primer. 3. Mask off brake rotor area. 4. Apply primer around entire hub area. 5. Once primer dries, apply a heat type silver paint to the affected area to repair the vehicle. Note: Replace the rotor(s) only if the affected area cannot be repaired enough to satisfy the customer.


Linky: Mazda will Paint my New RX8's Rusted Rotors
O wow! thanks dude that helps a lot!!
Transam kid 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 08:55 PM   #16
Registered User
 
Trader Score: (0)
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 103
Yeah, if you ever have technical questions do a search for posts from SnapOn, as I believe he works for Mazda. He is very knowledgeable.
BoilerX8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 01:02 AM   #17
the giant tastetickles
 
yiksing's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (0)
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: in the basement
Posts: 2,744
Is anything gonna fail if it stay rusted???
yiksing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 08:13 AM   #18
Compression Tester Man
 
Go48's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (0)
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Mont Alto, PA
Posts: 2,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by yiksing
Is anything gonna fail if it stay rusted???
NO. It's strictly a visual thing.
Go48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 08:13 AM
RX8Club
Mazda RX8




Paid Advertisement


 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.
All content Copyright 2007 by Internet Brands, Inc.
Emails Backup