You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access
to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join RX8Club.com today!
Hi guys this is my first post as a member here and i really joined here to get some general infos about the RX-8s. I'm buying a car here pretty soon probably by middle of may definitely before summer starts and i've narrowed it down to 2 cars: RX-8 and Trans Am,
Im a pretty fimiliar about the T/A because i've always been into more muscle cars and have many friends that own them. But on the other hand i dont know much about the RX8 except that it looks really cool and it has 240HP with amazing handling. Not much more.
My general questions:
1. I have an extremely heavy right foot, i abuse my cars daily, are these rotary engines made to withstand constant abuse? or do they break down too easily?
2. How is the MPG? i've heard the rotary engine is not the most envirnment friendly car but i dont really car as long as it gets me better than what a 5.7 V8 would get me, anything above 20 is fine with me!
3. What is the top speed bone stock? i think i've heard 150 from Top Gear
4. What are the weaknesses of the car? what would you change about them? every car has them, like the T/A has terrible interior, whats the cons about the RX8?
Thanks Ahead to eveyone! :D
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members. Register your free account today and become a member on RX8Club.com!
poor gas mileage 18 or lower in town...who cares tho it's well worth it. and another con is low torque would like more but nothin a turbo couldn't solve...car does need to be redlined daily but don't beat the crap out of it...and i don't know the top speed but i believe it is about 148mph
1. I think they're dependable if you maintain them, which means realizing that they're designed to inject oil into the combustion chamber so you have to keep an eye on the oil and add a little from time to time. Probably a good idea to add some premix when you fill up for added protection.
2. Expect 16-18 mpg, maybe less if you drive more in the city, maybe more if you drive it like an old lady.
3. That sounds about right but I'm not really sure.
4. Most would like more low-end torque but you'll love revving it to 9k smooth as butter. Most complain about the poor fuel economy, but that's the price you pay for exceptional handling in a true 4-seater. Rotaries are not fuel efficent but they're small and light and mounted low and closer to the center of the car, which is what helps in the handling department. That's the biggies.
"When all is said and done, it's possible that Mazda will find a few more ponies in there than they've been alluding to. I would imagine that after the faux-pas over horsepower with the 2001 NB8B Miata, Mazda is being conservative on power output announcements." - bwob, 2/2/02
Why are you worried about top speed? Are you going to kill my on the highway when you plow into the back of me at 140 mph?
The T/A is a piece of S@*#. Transmissions have a bad reputation and the car basically falls apart on the inside. They handle like crap too.
As long as you take care of it, the 8 is about bullet proof. But it is not a good car if you like to drag.
They are two such different cars. If you are wanting a T/A, you won't like the 8. So, do us a favor and not buy it. You will be on here bitching about the lack of torque and that it is too slow. You won't check the oil and your oil light will stay on and you will be on here bitching about that. Then one day you will start a thread talking about how you finally go rid of the p.o.s. and bought a new Camaro.
Read the book, in this case go to search, that's exactly what i did, you will see negatives as in any forums, and positives. The people here are great for bouncing idea's off of, and problems, as for the Trans Am it is a different beast, Rotary engines must be babied to last. example oil changes every 3k, read on... it will tire you but keep reading it is all invaluable. If you do decide to join us Welcome
Thanks for all the infos guys, really appretiate it, i asked about the top speed thing b/c i've owned 4 cars, and i've maxed all of them before, lol just alittle fun thing i like to to once in a while when i dont see anyone in a long distance in highway lol
what are all this complaining about the oil changing? every car needs a oil change every 3k.......
and i might have given the wrong expression about my heavy foot, i always launch, i just dong drive like a grama i guess lol
But im considering the RX8 b/c there pretty badass looking cars, decent amount of kick 240hp will be fine, nice interior, good handling.
one BIG THING i think i'll have alittle bit of a hard time adjusting to is the speedo, lol i've never had digital speedo that might be alittle weird at first.
if you have a heavy foot you shouldnt be worried about gas mileage but in anycase
what engine in a TA are you looking for LT1 or LS1 im getting 28 in my camaro and my buddy is getting 27 in his LS1
ive driven both and i like my camaro but if i had to choose i would definitely take the 8 overall better performer and great look but you wont get the throw back in your seat from the 8 like you will the TA
If you want straight line acceleration, the RX8 is not for you.
Have you considered a Mustang? You should be able to get one that's a couple of years old for cheap. That would give you the power you seem to want and it would probably be more reliable than a Trans Am. You might even be able to find one with some warranty time left on it.