You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access
to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join RX8Club.com today!
Ok, as the title says, I'm getting ready to buy an RX8. I always wanted a rotary since the first 5 letters came out mid 80s. When the RX8 came out in 2004 I imediately knew I needed one of those toys. So here I am trying to decide which one to purchase.
Here are my options based on prefence and availability at the time.
1st choice: 2005 White RX8 GT with 39k miles on the odometer.
- This one is owned by a guy who has had rotaries since late 70s. He's the second owner. got the car with roughly 14k miles.
- Neither Engine, coils, clutch pedal or any other know part to fail has been replaced.
- No mods
- Engine oil used is dino Castrol 5w-30. Changed every 3k miles regardless.
- Differential oil changed.
- Coolant flushed and refilled.
- Never visited the dealer for any failures.
Guy swears the car is excellently maintained. I'm going to see the car this saturday.
2nd choice: 2009 Red RX8 GT with 19K miles on the odometer.
- This one is owned by a 21 year old. Dady has bought a couple of toys for him and he wants to get rid of one. First owner
- Never visited the dealer for any failures.
- All services performed at the dealership
- AEM cold air intake installed at the stealership.
- Tires replaced with Falken Ziex and painted black rims.
- Good thing, this is a S2 which has all the revised parts on engine, suspension, etc.
I don't like the cluster of the 2009, doesn't have enough gauges. Also, don't like the fact that the ECU can't be reflashed with a Cobb Access port. I already had a red sports car and personally I don't like the red color used by Mazda, even though 2009 looks better than earlier years.
I always loved the Yellow RX8 and the fact that it only came out one year, but they are imposible find here. The White ones look sick (in a good way) with the right parts, not to mention the color is very bright. I already have a Blue sports car and a Charcoal grey sport sedan.
So what do you guys think. Give me your feedback as to why I should purchase one or the other. Price is not a fact, I want one period. I obviously want to do some mods to it.
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members. Register your free account today and become a member on RX8Club.com!
I personally would get the 09 because the S2's are much more reliable, they have shorter gearing which means more torque in 1-3 and they look better IMO (I love the tail lights)
But they have very little aftermarket support so I would do some research first to make sure the mods you want are available for the S2's
Yeah, however I'm worried of the issues that some of the S1 models exhibit. I don't want to buy a car and then have it break on me.
I like the S2 because is fairly new, still has warranty, the body style looks awesome, has more nice to have features and has the latest updates.
I like the S1 because of the body kit, color, more aftermarket parts, more mods available and it owned and maintained by a Rotor freak.
There's a couple of things that I noticed on the Red S2 that has me thinking. The clear paint on the Drivers side suicide door looked faded on the upper edge near the roofline. The carpets are all messed up and the leather on the steering wheel looks and feels faded on some areas. Has anyone had a steering wheel fade? Could this guys be leaking acid from his palms?
I tell you what I didn't like of the S1 once I see it this Saturday.
looks to be in good shape!
Depending on the asking price, I'd say that it's a good buy.
Although, without maintenance history, I'd be a little skeptical, especially since there is only another year or so on the warranty...
Also, I'd say that it's long over due for a coil. plug change
He's asking $13,800 for it. I second the coil change though.
Here's the maintenance list done so far.
- Engine oil used is dino Castrol 5w-30. Changed every 3k miles regardless
- Differential oil changed to Royal Purple
- Transmission oil changed to Royal Purple
- Coolant flushed and refilled
- Plugs changed
- Coil Wires changed to Ultra (sold by Racing Beat)
- Struts replaced with OEM ones
If I buy it I will do the coil change immediately to BHR ones. Other than that, the car seems in excellent shape. No gear grinding, no rough idling, no ill sounds or anything. I've driven other two RX8 one being a 2009 and another a 2006 and this one felt no different. Pulled the same to redline, no hiccups.
Last edited by yeyo_racing; 06-27-2011 at 04:47 PM.