04-09-2008, 06:15 PM
Certified Mazda Tech
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Wayne, NJ
Mazda Zoom Engine Cleaner - Instructions
I noticed that at least one person has bought the decarbonization engine cleaner from mazda.
I know when I use the stuff at work the only directions are the one on the can....which arent the directions mazda wants you to use.
Have you guys found the official mazda instructions as per the TSB or would you like me to post them?
meh I'll just post them:
A - CARBON REMOVAL PROCEDURE
PLEASE USE CAUTION WHEN USING ENGINE CLEANER.
WEAR EYE PROTECTION AND GLOVES WHEN HANDLING.
ENGINE CLEANER IS FLAMMABLE.
NOTE: An assistant may be necessary while performing this procedure.
Approximately half a can of engine cleaner will be used per vehicle during this repair.
1. Start engine and warm to operating temperature. Turn engine off.
2. Cleaner kit comes with engine cleaner (A) and engine cleaner spray hose (B).
3. Disconnect Eccentric Shaft Position Sensor (ESPS) B1-27 connector.
NOTE: This will cut fuel injection and spark while performing the procedure.
4. Disconnect the secondary air injection pump connector B1-04.
5. Remove the front vacuum plug or vacuum hose from the passenger side of the lower intake manifold.
NOTE: 2006 model year and later vehicles have vacuum hoses attached to these ports for the PCV system. Disconnect these hoses from the lower intake manifold ports one at a time when performing this procedure. These hoses do not need to be plugged once disconnected.
CAUTION: DO NOT attempt to service both vacuum ports at the same time. Perform procedure for front port, then perform procedure for rear port.
6. Insert engine cleaner spray hose (B) into front port nipple (C).
7. Attach engine cleaner spray hose to engine cleaner spray can nozzle.
8. Have an assistant crank the engine. While cranking the engine, simultaneously depress the spray nozzle of the engine cleaner for a duration of 10 seconds. After 10 seconds, stop spraying and cranking at the same time. DO NOT depress accelerator pedal while cranking.
9. Wait a minimum of 30 seconds and repeat STEP 6 for the same port.
10. Reconnect vacuum hose or install vacuum plug to front nipple.
11. Repeat STEPS 5-10 for rear nipple.
12. Allow the engine cleaner to soak for at least 1 hour before starting engine.
13. Connect ESPS connector B1-27.
14. Attempt to start engine without depressing accelerator pedal.
15. Keep engine running between 1500-2000 RPM until engine speed has stabilized. Maintain this engine speed until all smoke has dissipated and / or engine has come to full operating temperature.
CAUTION: Do not race the engine during warm-up, this may cause catalyst damage.
16. Rev engine from idle speed up to 6,000 RPM, then release throttle immediately until RPM returns to idle speed.
17. Repeat 20 times with vehicle in Park (AT) or neutral (MT).
18-23. Cant be done outside of dealer, concerns using the IDS Computer System, not necessary anyway.
24. Turn engine off.
25. Connect the secondary air injection pump connector B1-04.